Hay Belly

Help Support CattleToday:

Worms, and inadequate nutrition are the most common causes. Higher protein supplement and better quality hay, but not alfalfa, will help it go away. Takes at least a couple ofmonths. ANything that takes long enough to be visible is goingto take time to go away. That all sadi, sometimes calves seem to go through a spell when they look like they're a lot of belly for the size of the calf. Not all do, but it does happen.

dun

I have two new heifer calves and theyt have pretty good hay bellies. They spend more time at the protien tub the the rest of the group. Could that be due to the fact that they need to be wormed or were under nurished ?

bizybeehill":2lbqeqey said:
I have two new heifer calves and theyt have pretty good hay bellies. They spend more time at the protien tub the the rest of the group. Could that be due to the fact that they need to be wormed or were under nurished ?

Either or both, or it could be they just like the taste and they're going through the potbelly stage. Not to be confused with middle aged men of course.

dun

Bought a young replacement heifer one time that developed a hay belly...just kept on getting bigger, it went away one afternoon....all 45# of it...bull calf.
A surprize because we didn't have a bull on the place at the time we got her and she had the same year ear tag and a mouth full of baby teeth. Sale barn early bred.
Just my two bits worth, DMc