Hay bales per acre

Help Support CattleToday:

NORTH FLORIDA

Reaction score
About how many 5x5 bales of hay per acre? How many cuttings a year? I'm planting Tifton 9 and I live in Florida. Asuming avg. rainfall.

That's kinda hard to predict. Lots of variables. Soil conditions, etc. Suggest you talk to extension agent in your area and others close to you who have tried this type.

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":2r5yugmk said:
It is easier to figure up how many sqaure bales you will get per acre than it would be to figure up round bales.

How's that?

If it is easier to figure square bales, then how many square bales per acre? If you live in the southeast and bale baihia, how much do you get per acre?

ok i'll jump in, we have a small hay field that's only 4 acres, it's coastal and johnson grass mixed. ( I know different type of grasses than your asking about) but on a normal year, we cut 3 to 4 times a year, and get 20 to 25 bales per cuttin and they are 5x5. That's with our normal rainfall. so that's 5 bales per acre, sometimes 6, and the bales weight 1400 to 1600 lbs
I used this particular hayfield as an example because it is small, and I usually count the bales when we are done. The larger hayfields I don't count em till we get em all stacked, and I dont know for sure how big it is.

NORTH FLORIDA":3ddc1dxv said:
About how many 5x5 bales of hay per acre? How many cuttings a year? I'm planting Tifton 9 and I live in Florida. Asuming avg. rainfall.

It All Depends On:
  • 1. Ones geographic location.
    2. Type of grass (species).
    3. Days of growing season.
    4. Amount of fertilizer and what analysis.
    5. Amount of natural rainfall (or) inches of irrigated water.
    6. Which cutting...1st, 2nd, etc.
    7. Type of soil.
    8. Rate of growth of grass and height of grass when cut.
    9. And...various other hay growing variables.

Every hay field is different...

JMO

It's kind of one of those "How high is up?" or "What's the difference between a duck?" type of questions

dun

Dun, you got it.

The most coastal I have ever baled on 7 acres of river bottom is 22 bales, but that was highly fertilized horse quality(no Johnson grass). If I let it go another two weeks, the numbers change, its stemmy and cow quality - not that I mind or label it. I don't own a horse. I simply like feeding good hay to my cattle. But heck, a week makes a difference in the number of bales. How the heck can anyone answer such a question without knowing soil, fertilizer, predict temperature fluctuation, irrigation etc? My field varies but I want it cut when its right to cut it and that has nothing to do with volume but more with nutritional value which means something totally different.

The best thing to do is talk to the Ag agent and decide what kind of quality you want in your hay (protein value etc) High protein means cutting it at the right time which has nothing to do with volume.

Latest posts