hay bales as panels

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
Anyone ever use haybales as a gate or a panel? I know the cattle would eat them eventually but they might get you buy in a tight for a little while.

We had several round bales that were very poor quality (dirty grass from flooding). Stacked them outside barn two runs high and used them as sides of corral or holding area. They worked great for two years.This fall the cows began eating on some of the rolls and now the corral is gone. Didn't cover the rolls so they were rotting anyway. Don't know why they ate the hay this year. They had good hay, must have gone through a heat and fermented somewhat kinda like silage.

Have also done this on a temp. basis.Stack rolls close to barn, work or separate cattle, put hay back in barn. The cattle seem easy to handle because the hay poses no threat to them and they cant see through them.

a lot of times if we have a sick newborn that we have to take care of away from its mother we will make a pen out of hay bales for it.

Dad also put out a wildfire with a roll of hay one time by smothering the fire with it.

Trailers, tractors and pickups make good gates in a pinch. I've also used maw for short periods but four extra panels or some borrowed from the corral work best, are light weight and don't talk back.

Extra panels are great for temporary fence repairs, emergency pens.

Jay

My neighbor used four ears of sweet corn for a watergap once... :lol:

Well, OK, not exactly.. :lol: He needed something to wire into a watergap since his partially rusted/washed out, and seeing that he was in something of a pinch, I gave him a sturdy but mangled gate I had laying against the barn.. Of course, I didn't want anything for the gate, but he insisted on giving me four ears of real early sweet corn anyway. :lol: I thought it worked out better in my favor, being around supper time, but he seemed plenty happy to have that old gate with the sun going down.. :D

Latest posts