hay balers

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
I hate Hay!!! dang baler went south looked like an explosion in a steel wool factory, kicked out a bale and as I was closing the back door it ran back under broke elevator chains and door latch. After this week I think I am going to fix this 96 model with a jack and roll a 09 New Holland under it. Start shopping Monday I haven't ruled out Vermeer either.

i bet you cussed a blue streak when you heard the explosen behind you.you dont have a bale kicker on your baler. vermeer has the 605M baler thatll put up a 2200lb bale.they also have the rebel baler.i know 2 guys that run rebel balers.but if i was gonna get a new baler.id get the biggest baler i could get.

Caustic Burno":25vu3oun said:
I hate Hay!!! dang baler went south looked like an explosion in a steel wool factory, kicked out a bale and as I was closing the back door it ran back under broke elevator chains and door latch. After this week I think I am going to fix this 96 model with a jack and roll a 09 New Holland under it. Start shopping Monday I haven't ruled out Vermeer either.
Ouch and good luck.

bigbull338":12qdwklq said:
i bet you cussed a blue streak when you heard the explosen behind you.you dont have a bale kicker on your baler. vermeer has the 605M baler thatll put up a 2200lb bale.they also have the rebel baler.i know 2 guys that run rebel balers.but if i was gonna get a new baler.id get the biggest baler i could get.

The New Holland BR7090 will put up a 2200lb bale as well. We run an 08' BR7090 with the wide pick-up & net wrap & absolutely love it.

CB i bought a BR7040. I got it 3 years ago. It produces 4X5 bales. It works very well for me. Give me a call. Hope this helps.

endebt":1p4324fh said:
CB i bought a BR7040. I got it 3 years ago. It produces 4X5 bales. It works very well for me. Give me a call. Hope this helps.

I will give you a ring next week before I serously go shopping, tomorrow is Sunday and I definetly need to be in a pew in the morning. The cow business would be wonderful if you were not always hunting bears with a switch.
Everything runs around a bale of hay, it won't rain, it won't quit raining. I just hope when I die the good Lord doesn't sentence me to hay baling for eternity or would that be he!!.

Caustic Burno":28b4tnbc said:

Sorry to hear that, Caustic. Nothing like a hot day baling and something bad goes wrong. There's a lot of good balers out there. I hear good things about the John Deere. I have the Vermeer Rebel but I would recommend it for smaller acreage unless you like going slow. The bigger models will outright move! The Vermeer technical support folks are fantastic. They walked me through a problem yesterday while I was with the baler. Didn't cost me dime. I also hear good things about the New Holland.

BeefmasterB":373bxhuq said:
Sorry to hear that, Caustic. Nothing like a hot day baling and something bad goes wrong. There's a lot of good balers out there. I hear good things about the John Deere. I have the Vermeer Rebel but I would recommend it for smaller acreage unless you like going slow. The bigger models will outright move! The Vermeer technical support folks are fantastic. They walked me through a problem yesterday while I was with the baler. Didn't cost me dime. I also hear good things about the New Holland.

You've got that right. Dad bought an XL series from a different dealer than I work with and had a problem with it when it was 2 or 3 years old, dealer was giving him the runaround. Said he didn't have time to look at it but Dad could bring it to him (1 1/2 hrs away) and he'd look at it when he got time. I called Iowa and told them about it, dealer was at his house the next morning and fixed it for free.

I've got an L series and it will bale as fast as you want to drive. Pull it with a Ford 7710 with the 8spd, most of the time I use 6th on good ground and 5th if it's rough.

LaneFarms":xjf8fg3j said:
CB whether you go yellow or red pay he extra and get net wrap. In my opinion it is worth every penny, especially with rainy days.

When the net wrap works right it's a pure joy. When it doesn;t it will take a whole lot longer to clear the mess then with twine.

I'm on my 5th year of running a JD467 that I bought brand new. It took the first year to get the kinks worked out, with little things here and there out of adjustment, etc. It also took the first year for me to learn how it's suppose to sound, and what it sounds like something is wrong. (Actually, this was the first piece of new equipment that I had ever bought.)

The first year, there was a couple of times that I wanted to blow it up myself. But... since then, I know the equipment, know how it runs, and know how it sounds. This puppy will bale some hay.

I would buy another one...

Sorry to hear about your baler, CB.

I just bought a slightly used BR780 last year from a farm equipment auction and got it for a song. Loaned it to a young feller who does custom baling and he ran about 3000 bales through it and no trouble at all. According to the serial number it was made in December 2006. Don't know any history on it beyond that except it was a repo from the FSA program and it sat for almost a year before it came to auction. Nice baler for $14K.

Have to disagree with Mr. Lane on the net wrap. Net wrap doesn't buy you anything for the rain. Where the net wrap helps is in the time it takes to tie the bale. And the net wrap is gonna add about $4500 - $5000 to the price of the machinery and $2 to $4 per bale for the net.

Personally, I like the NH equipment. Not many folks around my part of Texas use Vermeer and the closest dealer is 65 miles away.

I have a friend who just had about 200 rd rolls baled. I was noticing that 2 or 3 had net wrap on them. I asked him why the small number of net wraps? He said he didn't like net wraps as when you get down to feeding your last bales the whole bottom falls out of the net wrapped bales.

TSR":36pabmn3 said:
I have a friend who just had about 200 rd rolls baled. I was noticing that 2 or 3 had net wrap on them. I asked him why the small number of net wraps? He said he didn't like net wraps as when you get down to feeding your last bales the whole bottom falls out of the net wrapped bales.

He's either storing the bales for more than one season or making no effort to store them in a place that drains fairly decent.

SSS Angus":2o1zuwzz said:
TSR":2o1zuwzz said:

He's either storing the bales for more than one season or making no effort to store them in a place that drains fairly decent.

Yea, that it strange! I have never had it happen and only wrap mine 2 turns. But then, I don't store them outside for more than a year.

Caustic Burno":8rohjw6m said:

Well what did you do CB? Wish i could justify a new or newer baler.

I had one of those days yesterday when a bearing went out. :frowns:
Called my neighbor thinking he might get to it since it looked like rain, forecast was nice all week when I cut it, he had a bearing out too and was driving over an hour to get. Got another guy down the road to get it, got a little rain last nigh not sure how much but it looks like it was good not to wait on my parts until today.

Caustic I feel for you. Today I started baleing the best hay this year. Baler (Vermer 5400 Rebel) had a problem would not end wrap the string. I stopped and worked on it for about two hours. Then after that about a round when the Pto shaft broke on the Cab tractor ( Case-IH 4230 always a problem with this tractor). Switched to another tractor. Was going pretty good when the constant volicity joint on the front end of the PTO shaft decided to take a crap. To late to fix today, I will start tommorow morning trying to find a part. I know the general asnwer I will get we do not have that part in stock, but We can order it and have it in 5 days maybe. I told the wife who is my rake operator (this is another story I wish that anyone that rakes would have to operate the baler for a week) that I was just about ready to sell the farm, tractors and cows and move into town. Her answer well what is holding you back. Serious I am getting pretty close to actual doing the whole retirement thing. Folks tell me that I would not be happy doing nothing, But I am about ready to try the not doing anything.

hurleyjd":ngd8s7og said:
Caustic I feel for you. Today I started baleing the best hay this year. Baler (Vermer 5400 Rebel) had a problem would not end wrap the string. I stopped and worked on it for about two hours. Then after that about a round when the Pto shaft broke on the Cab tractor ( Case-IH 4230 always a problem with this tractor). Switched to another tractor. Was going pretty good when the constant volicity joint on the front end of the PTO shaft decided to take a crap. To late to fix today, I will start tommorow morning trying to find a part. I know the general asnwer I will get we do not have that part in stock, but We can order it and have it in 5 days maybe. I told the wife who is my rake operator (this is another story I wish that anyone that rakes would have to operate the baler for a week) that I was just about ready to sell the farm, tractors and cows and move into town. Her answer well what is holding you back. Serious I am getting pretty close to actual doing the whole retirement thing. Folks tell me that I would not be happy doing nothing, But I am about ready to try the not doing anything.
Retirement isn;t all it's cracked up to be. In our case retirement means just a few cows to have them around (can;t go cold turkey). What would you do with all the free time you would have.

retirement is no fun.i tryed that for 3 or 4yrs after the dairy was shutdown.an i was about to loose my mind.so i said im jumping back into the reg cattle business to stay till i die.

Latest posts