Hay Baler

Help Support CattleToday:

Jdwest

Reaction score
In my area I see a lot of guys who use New Holland hay balers, but have John Deere everything else like tractor, rotary cutters,etc.Is there a big performance difference in the two brands or is it a price difference? Also the New Holland balers that they have look massive compared to balers of other companies that bale the same size bale. Just curious as to to why New Holland vs John Deere.

Vemeer has to be number one here with Krone and NH being the rest.
Heston used to be popular till the Massey dealer folded up.
I have come to the conclusion dealer in the area makes xyz popular

Caustic Burno":17276ubj said:
So true. Availability of parts, service and willingness to give trade in value varies from dealer to dealer and makes difference in with who you want to do business. In addition some dealers will specialize in planters or other equipment and give less emphasis to haying equipment or vice versa. Sometimes convenience of the dealer location alone will swing a deal.

At one time NH made pretty good equipment (IMO) but starting with the "BR" series balers they went to shyt. I have a BR780 which has spent more time in the shop than in the field. I would not buy another NH anything.

Caustic Burno":2j8pivjy said:
Vemeer has to be number one here with Krone and NH being the rest.
Heston used to be popular till the Massey dealer folded up.

Same here, lots of Vermeer. I think there's close to a dozen dealers within 50 miles of me.

They also have a mobile service (Haydoc) guy that comes around and does a fantastic job.

:idea: 2 years ago I demoed a used NH BR780A, made 5 bales then it burned a bearing. I took that as a sign to stay away from it. I bought a new NH 560. It has been a good baler once I got it sorted out. The setup from the dealer wasn't very good & it took me about 100 bales before I got it right. Lesson learned, read the manual twice & set it myself and forget the shop's phone number. :idea:

I'm with lavacarancher, used to have all NH last 2 rollers bought new, maybe 3000 rolls between the 2 couldn't get them gone fast enough. Went green we will see.

bse":p5iebdhz said:
I'm with lavacarancher, used to have all NH last 2 rollers bought new, maybe 3000 rolls between the 2 couldn't get them gone fast enough. Went green we will see.

What model did you buy?

I have a 07 or 08 BR7060 , It bales good and only issue was breaking a pick up tooth bar in some rough stuff a couple yrs ago , broke it again last yr, Gotta order a new one or build one for the next time it breaks . I found after I bought this one the PO did not have it set up right and I tweeked it and now it bales a lot better. JD is a great baler also so its comes down to service and parts availability for most people

First one was a BR780 I think the 5x6, it had new bearings in all the top at 550 rolls, of course just out of warranty but they didnt care, never tied exactly right. Had to watch it tie every roll and redo tying alot.Thought it was just a lemon so tried again.Last one was 7060 silage special you could roll about 30 rolls then from that point youd have to hit the catches with a hammer every roll to kick it out, takes alot of time doing that, they did try and figure that out with several new parts over 4 yrs, never worked glad it's gone!!!!
John Deere in August rolled 130 never steped off the tractor, didn't know rollers really did that(sarcasm)about 30 was the best I ever did with NH.

I have a NH 282 baler.. it's an ancient old beast, I know its history, and estimate it's closing in on 1 million bales.. the ceramic eyelets the twin passes through wore down 3/16th of an inch, and the belly plate under the needles has grooves cut in it from the twine as well... makes heavier bales than anything else I've seen. Eats like a hippo and craps like a rabbit.

bse":19ess0du said:
First one was a BR780 I think the 5x6, it had new bearings in all the top at 550 rolls, of course just out of warranty but they didnt care, never tied exactly right. Had to watch it tie every roll and redo tying alot.Thought it was just a lemon so tried again.Last one was 7060 silage special you could roll about 30 rolls then from that point youd have to hit the catches with a hammer every roll to kick it out, takes alot of time doing that, they did try and figure that out with several new parts over 4 yrs, never worked glad it's gone!!!!
John Deere in August rolled 130 never steped off the tractor, didn't know rollers really did that(sarcasm)about 30 was the best I ever did with NH.
Po had same issue with catches after I got it I found he was slowing down. Rpms when he kicked the roll out with the lower rpm the loose hay on belts would fall down Between the gate and body and create a bind when locked.

I never change rpm once I start. I tried it on 3 different remotes and 2 different tractors that thing had issues that nobody could figure out, dealer did try but never willing to just call it a lemon and send it back where it came from.

I had a 09 br 7060 never had a problem with it. I think the problems come in when you buy the economy models . With every brand it seems like .

Most of the new balers around here are Deere, with the older ones being Krone, Gehl, you name it. The ones running Deere are not necessarily Deere men, either. Lots of red tractors pulling green.

M-5":112u3gix said:
I have a 07 or 08 BR7060 , It bales good and only issue was breaking a pick up tooth bar in some rough stuff a couple yrs ago , broke it again last yr, Gotta order a new one or build one for the next time it breaks . I found after I bought this one the PO did not have it set up right and I tweeked it and now it bales a lot better. JD is a great baler also so its comes down to service and parts availability for most people

Are you able to adjust the pickup cam timing on NH balers?

I was baler shopping a few years back with an open mind. Owned and used Vermeers my whole life but was giving some serious thought to JD just for parts and service convenience (cousin who lives next door is a service tech for the local JD dealer) but couldn't justify paying the extra 8-10k for the same baler from JD as from Vermeer. Plus the Vermeer baler weighed something around 2500-3000 lbs more than the comparable green machine.

Just for sh*tz and giggles, look at the pickup teeth/bands/bars on the various models the next time you have a chance. It's pretty amusing.

Latest posts