hay bale mover

Help Support CattleToday:

Yes there is one you pull behind a pickup. I have one it's called a Hay Dolly, other names are tumble bug, hay mover.I really like mine
you need a 4-wheel drive for it.lwww.ccmachinery.com/hay.htm]

With just a hay dolly you can winch bales up and it is less than pulling a 1500 lb trailer. Light cars can move hay with them.

The tumble bugs use momentum to lift the bales and you don't winch. Pull up, latch over, and let the weight of the bale rock backwards (tumble) into the bug.

They have hydraulic lifts that attach to the G/N hitch of a pick-up that are slick.

Many of the flatbeds have rollers that hay spikes attach to and hydraulics roll up the bales. They are very slick too.

Central Fl Cracker":1p9ir75n said:
Do they make a hay bale mover that u can attach to a pickup truck. I prefer not to buy a tractor.

Yep, a friend down the road from me who has a few cattle only uses his to feed hay with. It's also easier for his wife to use than a tractor he says...

I have a tumble bug type mover. It worked great until I started using net wrap. The spike that hooks onto the bail rips the net wrap off the bales.

I use net wrap too. But my spikes are shorter and don't rip the net off. When I said you need a 4-wheel drive it's for mud and slick conditions. I love mine my farms are about 3mi apart and it's a long cold ride on a tractor.

Anybody know who else manufactures these type of things? They also make the ones with a hand crank.

I saw a pickup once that had a bale spear hooked up to the bed of the truck. I didn't talk to him about it, but it looked like he could back up to a bale and hydraulically pick up the bale so it would be laying flat in the bed of the truck. So the spear would start in a horizontal position and end up vertically. Might be a home made jobby.

Toby L.":1q0h5zov said:
I saw a pickup once that had a bale spear hooked up to the bed of the truck. I didn't talk to him about it, but it looked like he could back up to a bale and hydraulically pick up the bale so it would be laying flat in the bed of the truck. So the spear would start in a horizontal position and end up vertically. Might be a home made jobby.
they sell them at all of the farm stores around here and they cost about $1000 they work really well and you can take them in and out of the truck
most are made to hook over a goosenck ball

Busterz":253iyg17 said:
Anybody know who else manufactures these type of things? They also make the ones with a hand crank.

It takes me 7 hours to build one if I have all the materials on hand. I have only built 3 of them and simply using mine as a pattern.

Angus Cowman":4eodthal said:
Toby L.":4eodthal said:
they sell them at all of the farm stores around here and they cost about $1000 they work really well and you can take them in and out of the truck
most are made to hook over a goosenck ball

Thats what we use. Except no hydraulics. the spear goes out horizontally and is at a 90 degree angle with another pipe. That pipe is connected to a cable which goes to the behind the cab and has a motor to pull the cable up. Works really well. Its quick and easy. Its what I personally would suggest. We've had ours for years. I think you could make it pretty easily if you had the pipe (and a pipe in the shape of a spear)

The only thing I really could not use is a tumbler. The bale has to be in the open. I stack mine end to end in rows. That keeps the ends from weathering.

backhoeboogie":3l7gue7v said:
The only thing I really could not use is a tumbler. The bale has to be in the open. I stack mine end to end in rows. That keeps the ends from weathering.

I load mine with the tractor and chock the wheels to dump. :oops:

Latest posts