Hay and Cubes ?

Help Support CattleToday:

coon hunter

Reaction score
Right now I'm starting to feed Hay 1 day and cubes the next. Should I feed also a Meal & Salt to up the protien ? Any help would be considered.

My interpretation of the question - Meal for protein with salt mixed in to serve as a consumption limiter.
I think an analysis of the hay would be required to best answer the question, if in fact my interpretation is correct.

are you feeding cottonseed meal?
In the past I feed 2 & 1 through the winter along with Hay when the grass plays out. I'm feeding hay and cubes with a salt/sulphur and a mineral block out right now. My question is should I feed a 2 & 1 along with Hay one day and cubes the next ?

Get your hay tested. It is your base. Supplement the hay with cubes or salt/meal mix to meet the needs of the cow. That way you will find out how much you will need to add. Remember, a cow has to have so many lbs. of Total Digestible Nutrients (TDN) and so many lbs. of crude protein each day.

In the winter when there is no grass to graze, I feed 4 round bales (bermuda grass) per week and 4 bags of 20% cubes per week. I typically time putting out cubes right before cold fronts otherwise just split them up thoughout the week 2 bags at a time. That seems to have kept the cows fat this past winter. I also put out salt blocks (both white & brown) as vitamin/mineral supplements. Additionally, I try to keep a couple of SafeGuard dewormer blocks (they love this stuff) in the trough to supplement spring (pour-on) and fall (injection) worming. Feeding about 20 cows in deep east Texas. Dropped 10 calves so far this spring. The cows & calves look big and healthy.

I am feeding what works out to about 30 pounds of hay per head per day, salt blocks, and free choice loose minerals. There is 60 cows with 33 new calves. I do think I could feed a touch more nutrition but they are doing OK. They will go to grass in about 3 or 4 weeks.

They keep getting me by bring up these old threads. I need to teach myself to look at the age first.
Well...I'd have to look it up, but I think I had to feed some around September but was able to stop after several weeks. Started again at the end of November and put the last out mid February. Going to need some rain to keep the grass growing. Looks like today's chance slipped on through without leaving any.