having dog problems...dogs killing my newborn calves...donkeys in North Mississippi?

Help Support CattleToday:

RNW

Reaction score
anyone know of someone with Donkeys to protect my calves/cows in North Mississippi...i am close to Oxford....tired of getting up in middle of night to try to shoot them after my dogs warn me something is going on...talked to owner of dogs and sheriffs dept already..donkeys in North Mississippi? thanks for any info

Sorry no help with the donkey but if you can prove they are killing calves why not just shoot them. I don't care if they're in the act or not.
thanks but cannot stay up all nite to watch for them...guessing you havent had this problem..it is real for me

thanks but cannot stay up all nite to watch for them...guessing you havent had this problem..it is real for me
No, I mean pull in the neighbors driveway and shoot the SOBs. As long as you can prove they are the problem.

My landlord has a few sheep. When some new people moved into a rental house about 400yds away they bought 2 dogs. My landlord was concerned that they may become a problem. I told him if they do they will become a non-problem just as fast.

Donkeys do great. One per pasture, no donkey at an adjoining fence, a jenny only and best if she has raised a foal. A few jacks do OK but you just never know. We have around 10 or 11 and dogs and coyotes are not a problem for sheep or cattle.

Seems like donkeys are more of a long term solution, but in the mean time you have a short term problem. Can you really introduce a donkey to a herd and expect it to immediately start protecting? This is a question I honestly don't know.
Personally, I'd dedicate a night or two to spending the night out there with a flashlight, a rifle, and a shovel.

thanks did do some shooting at 330am the other nite and think i hit one...just dont want to stay up night and day to keep other dogs away...already talked to sheriff office and they called dog owner...and i have too ..but he is Trash..if you know what i mean

Seems like donkeys are more of a long term solution, but in the mean time you have a short term problem. Can you really introduce a donkey to a herd and expect it to immediately start protecting? This is a question I honestly don't know.
Personally, I'd dedicate a night or two to spending the night out there with a flashlight, a rifle, and a shovel.
A donkey used to cows will guard immediately. But you do not have to put the donkeys just in the cow pasture. They can be in other pastures running a front or flank position by themselves. A donkey not used to cows or sheep has to be introduced over a fence for a few days to know them as non-predators.

A donkey used to cows will guard immediately. But you do not have to put the donkeys just in the cow pasture. They can be in other pastures running a front or flank position by themselves. A donkey not used to cows or sheep has to be introduced over a fence for a few days to know them as non-predators.
thanks for the info..spent 2 nites and had a little luck..thanks cant stay up at nite for much longer...thanks for your reply

If you can figure out where they are coming under the fence set a snare right under the wire. Maybe even an inch or two the road side of the fence. Check the snare first thing in the morning. If the dog has been tied it will probably still be alive but that is easy to correct.
have not thought of that,...have a good buffer from where they are coming from..will look into that...

Latest posts