Having AI done

Help Support CattleToday:

Hunter

Reaction score
Has anyone found it difficult to find one of the bigger services to perform AI on their cattle?
I asked one and never heard back after I responded with how many head I would be looking to have done, 16-30.

Most of the big studs use independent representatives so your problem isn't really the company itself, it's the tech himself. Consider yourself lucky... You found out how reliable they are upfront. ;-)
I've told everyone that asks me that I don't AI for a living any more but I won't turn them down if they need help and all I've heard is so-and so didn't show up or so and so said he'd do them and then after I syncronized them said he didn't have time. So and so charged me twice what he said it would cost... Based on what I've heard the only person within a hundred miles of me(including the vet) that will show up when they say they will and charge what they said they would charge cant't seem to get anything pregnant and people still use him because he shows up. :lol: I've never seen anything like it. In CA on the dairies the very first time you didn't show up or do what you said you'd do or call someone back you might as well consider your career over.
16-30 is a respectable number, especially if they're synced. It is worth his time so don't take it personal. I have yet to turn anyone away but I'm always happy when there's more than a few and they're synced.

cow pollinater":22k0x1qu said:
[...]
16-30 is a respectable number, especially if they're synced. It is worth his time so don't take it personal. I have yet to turn anyone away but I'm always happy when there's more than a few and they're synced.

CP, we have a tech from one of the big outfits come out to AI our little herd. He even comes by for singles. We are in his designated territory. Sometimes I feel bad for him though..did anyone ever tip you? I have thought maybe it's custom to slip AI techs something at Christmas?

ANyone else ever do that?

boondocks":248c6xpg said:
did anyone ever tip you?
No. I've had exactly one customer insist that they pay me for my time after I drove an hour and wound up not breeding anything and I only accepted that because she was really embarrassed and wanted to save face. Most customers feel like they've paid enough and they have. It's up to the tech to average in all the extra little trips. It's not uncommon to go see a customer three or four times before you ever breed a cow.

boondocks":ctml5ny9 said:
I have thought maybe it's custom to slip AI techs something at Christmas?

ANyone else ever do that?
When I was doing custom AI occasionally someone would slip me a little extra. That was a long time ago when there wasn;t many people doing AI. I tried to not let it make a difference but subconciously I may have givern them a little better service. Can't say for sure one way ot the other, but I do know I appreciated the extra thought on their part.

Latest posts