Having a bit of fun

Help Support CattleToday:

FlyingLSimmentals

Reaction score
this evening teaching the young bulls to eat alfalfa cubes from the hand. They went from sniffing them to licking at them in my hand to eating them in the feed trough and now finally 4 out of 5 has mastered their fear and will take them from the hand without dropping them. I noticed with others I've fed some can really use their tongues well and open up well while others are like coin slots you stick it in there and deposit it like a piggy bank. Have one cow I can't stand to feed her one, she brings her whole tongue out in a swirl and grabs the cube and the hand. Her tongue is much rougher than sand paper, feels like it grinds my skin off. Anyway I've had a great day especially for a late Jan. day. Couldn't beat the weather today in WKY. Hope everyone else had a good one if not I'm wishing you the best.

FlyingLSimmentals":2kwys51y said:
this evening teaching the young bulls to eat alfalfa cubes from the hand. They went from sniffing them to licking at them in my hand to eating them in the feed trough and now finally 4 out of 5 has mastered their fear and will take them from the hand without dropping them. I noticed with others I've fed some can really use their tongues well and open up well while others are like coin slots you stick it in there and deposit it like a piggy bank. Have one cow I can't stand to feed her one, she brings her whole tongue out in a swirl and grabs the cube and the hand. Her tongue is much rougher than sand paper, feels like it grinds my skin off. Anyway I've had a great day especially for a late Jan. day. Couldn't beat the weather today in WKY. Hope everyone else had a good one if not I'm wishing you the best.

Yup!

jerry27150":1euaej45 said:
tame bulls are the ones that will kill you

You mean the ones that look at you like you owe them money and hone in on you like a heat seeking missile will not?

We've only had one mean bull & sold him right after he charged my husband. The tame ones act as if they've been beaten if I pop them on the nose with my finger when they're too close. Just had a tame bull with pneumonia (fully recovered now). I definitely wouldn't attempt shots but he totally let me take his temp multiple times by simply scratching his tail head, popping in the thermometer. I don't advocate negligent animal husbandry but know your animals & always be aware.

FlyingLSimmentals":3sk2qjru said:
Much rather have a tame one than a crazy mean son of a gun.

I halter break the calves I plan to sell as bulls. I assume they fit the definition of "tame". I acknowledge they are potentially dangerous but I sure feel more comfortable with them than going into a pen with a crazy mean one.

They can all be dangerous whether tame or not. For me, I prefer a fairly tame bull, that way if they get somewhere they aren't supposed to be they are somewhat easier to get back. Also if they tend to be flighty I feel like they are a lot more dangerous to work with. That being said, I do think there is a point that they become too tame and don't have any fear of people, that is extremely dangerous, dairy bulls, or petified hand raised bull calves.

I don't want them wild and I don't want them overly tame. I like them to stay 6' away and if they don't I start caring the hotshot. it does not take them long to learn the distance they are to keep between me and them. If they get to crowding you to tight they will hurt you and not even mean to.

BRYANT":395te67g said:
I don't want them wild and I don't want them overly tame. I like them to stay 6' away and if they don't I start caring the hotshot. it does not take them long to learn the distance they are to keep between me and them. If they get to crowding you to tight they will hurt you and not even mean to.
+1. I don't care about tame, calm and respectful is all that matters.

Margonme":288lli1m said:
jerry27150":288lli1m said:
tame bulls are the ones that will kill you

You mean the ones that look at you like you owe them money and hone in on you like a heat seeking missile will not?

Accurate! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mine love their cubes so much that they almost take your hand off! They sure do help make tame ones!

Thanks Ron. It has gentled them down a good bit and built some trust with Dozer. He was nervous and a bit aggressive when I would feed or get around them, made me a bit nervous he was taking after his daddy to much. Now he is calm and doesn't watch me like a hawk pawing the ground or shaking his head in fear. He'll let me walk on by without getting nervous. Didn't figure he would eat from the hand but he picked it up better than a couple of the others. It helps them learn their names as well. I don't want them to be pets but I want a good trust between them and I. I would like for them to know their names because I've seen first hand how it has helped. I was on a farm years back looking at a bull and thinking on buying him when he got startled with us all talking and pulled away from his owner whom was leading him with a halter and rope. The bull ran down his drive headed to the busy highway, looked like he was gonna be a gonner. The man yelled his name and for him to get his butt back up here and by gosh that bull turned and ran right back and into his stall all on his own. By the way that sold the bull and got us in the Simmental business.

Clodhopper":2lwm849b said:
BRYANT":2lwm849b said:
+1. I don't care about tame, calm and respectful is all that matters.

My philosophy as well.

This old gal here'd be up for eating out of somebody's hand, hip pocket, just whatever would probably suit her fine.

Bigfoot.. She looks like a nice cow!

Bulls.. There is a difference between tame and docile/laid back.. They can perfectly well be unafraid of you and "tame", but not docile at all.. It's important to know the difference and make the distinction between the two. I like them to be both, and raise them that way... I don't put up with crap from them, but they get their pettings like everyone else.. NO PETTING on the top of the head.. if they want to beg, stretch your neck out and I'll scratch under the neck, or show me your butt and you can get a tail scratch.

Rough tongues? yeah, I know about them.. I have one that absolutely wants to eat my arm, or lick me forever (my bulls full sister)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T8VkKyKLi8

Bigfoot, those that look like that are at the neighbor's place around here. He can have all he wants, I'm not dealing with any horns gentle or not.

FlyingLSimmentals":2t8wfcqv said:
Bigfoot, those that look like that are at the neighbor's place around here. He can have all he wants, I'm not dealing with any horns gentle or not.

She's not gentle. I'm actually in the process of getting rid of about 8 to 10 that are a little to gamey. I'm getting older, and one of the kids could get hurt. There a bad match for all of us.

She has a perfect udder. I bet with a char or limo bull she would raise a monster calf

Latest posts