Haven't done this in a long time

Help Support CattleToday:

Ouachita

Reaction score
Well it's Friday night. I had just enough homemade wine after supper, I decided to walk a quarter mile from the house and park my arse against a comfortable tree. The sky is absolutely beautiful. The sounds of the yotes and all manner of insects are incredible. I'm not even sleepy. It is amazing what life has to offer after your kids are grown and self sufficient.
Life is good. I could become addicted to this tree, and the harmony of this natural music.

Ha! You caught me, just as finished a homemade soft taco (no jokes here) for breakfast (leftovers).
Yes, it was very peaceful; a perfect night after a long week. I put my bride to bed about 10pm, then my son and I went to check game cameras and do some armadillo patrol. He was tuckered out around 12:30am, so I drove him back to the house. I sat up for awhile and had a dose of homemade watermelon wine (first try at watermelon; not as good as the song makes it sound). Then decided to walk down to the deer feeders, and got cozy against my lazy tree. I saw several shooting stars, watched the moon travel across the sky, and listened to the scenery, since I couldn't see it. It was a great night, and very relaxing. I'm drinking my coffee until the kids and wife awake, and then decide whether to nap or just keep on keeping on. My son's alarm just went off. Opening day of archery season. I think I'll help his scrawny arse out of bed.
I hope life is well with all here......it has been a long time since I've followed and participated on this forum. I notice a lot of new names, and also a lot of missing names.

Sounds peaceful.

Watermelon wine is pretty discouraging isn't it? Made some a while back and it had a strange paraffin like taste to it. I decided I'd simmer it into a concentrate and see how that tasted. It still had that strange taste. Don't think I'll be making any more of either.

Jogeephus":25b1djbq said:
Sounds peaceful.

Watermelon wine is pretty discouraging isn't it? Made some a while back and it had a strange paraffin like taste to it. I decided I'd simmer it into a concentrate and see how that tasted. It still had that strange taste. Don't think I'll be making any more of either.

Tom Tom Hall
Old Dogs and Children and Watermelon Wine

Margonme":374ro2ce said:
Jogeephus":374ro2ce said:
Sounds peaceful.

Tom Tom Hall
Old Dogs and Children and Watermelon Wine

Begs to wonder if Tom ever had watermelon wine. Seems the consensus is it tastes bad. I was warned not to make it but I'm stubborn and the kind of guy whose going to have to lift a skunks tail to smell for myself.

Jo,
Glad to hear, in a satisfying way, that your watermelon wine did not turn out well either, because I know if anyone could it'd be you. I'll not be wasting time and ingredients on it again.

Ouachita":3kqzonj7 said:
Jo,
Glad to hear, in a satisfying way, that your watermelon wine did not turn out well either, because I know if anyone could it'd be you. I'll not be wasting time and ingredients on it again.

The feelings mutual. My wine mentor warned me not to try it but I'm stubborn. Heck, how can watermelon not taste good? Mine had some god awful paraffin-like after taste in it and I couldn't even cook it out. Did yours have a funky aftertaste too? Mine was pretty as it could be. Just tasted bad. :oops:

You already know that wine, fermented from anything, can taste completely different from the primary ingredient. Mine doesn't taste like paraffin; at least not to me. It is about 14%. It doesn't have even the faintest suggestion that it was made with watermelon. It is just a very bland boring experiment. It is not worth the bottles it's in. I'll be pouring it out to the hogs; not much as it was just a 5 gallon batch.
My bride and I have spent our evening picking muscadines, and will continue in the morning with her in the FEL getting those hard to reach precious round purple marbles of joy. I know how this works and will be needy of the containers currently occupied by the previously mentioned vile liquid; not even worthy of being referred to as wine.
Making wine and enjoying it has been a real pleasure for my wife and I.......from start to finish. In fact she has taken the lead role in this endeavor. She has a batch of passion fruit working now. This will also be a first for us.

Cross-7":ny3p1yti said:
The hangover is going to suck big time ;-)
Well, that was my exact thought after the second swill.......giving the first one a pass, because after all, I'd just finished a meal and thought my taster was faulty. No, no hangover for me; not from that watermelon wine.

TennesseeTuxedo":gb3gu93b said:
Remember, it was the Old Gray Black gentleman who recommended the watermelon wine in that classic song.
Yes, one of my favorite songs that unfortunately created visions of fairies and sugar plums in my head. That didn't pan out, hence the disappointing conclusion especially after Jo provided what I believe to be a reliable comparison of experience.

He said we got a 100 gallons of sweet red wine
Made from the biggest watermelons on the vine
If you sip you some obey the law
If you drink don't drive do the watermelon crawl!

Fwiw, I always heard you couldn't make good watermelon wine. However I'd have to try if I liked wine, because I most certainly like watermelons.

TennesseeTuxedo":lxv9umge said:
Remember, it was the Old Gray Black gentleman who recommended the watermelon wine in that classic song.
Beat me to it.

Latest posts