Have your checked your herd lately?

Help Support CattleToday:

One reason to brand or mark your cattle, ear tagging is only for your personal indenification , cattle could be stolen , stocked on a ranch , sell the calves only, they never would be found.

41 pairs totaling $350k, someone needs to be arrested for fraud. This kind of reporting just makes things worse for the rancher. IMO

I registered a brand about 4 weeks ago, its almost unheard of in Ky. Stories like this are why.

highgrit":3pww0aco said:
41 pairs totaling $350k, someone needs to be arrested for fraud. This kind of reporting just makes things worse for the rancher. IMO
Maybe the calculate it like they did in Iceland when I was there. If you hit a sheep and killed it the figured the value of all it's possible offspring and all the fleece from the one that got killed and all it's offpsring. Amazed me what they figured a dam sheep was worth

If a stranger is around my cattle no way in heck are they catching them. I have to butter them up a few days and then trick a few of em just to get them in the lot to catch myself.

jltrent":2r3wsrtz said:
If a stranger is around my cattle no way in heck are they catching them. I have to butter them up a few days and then trick a few of em just to get them in the lot to catch myself.

If they get out, and get with somebody elses, a brand is your only recourse.

jltrent":214hoij6 said:

I give mine grain daily and anyone holding a bucket they will run too . I feed mine daily in a corral so they are used to going in there. I have talked to fire sweep and am seriously thinking about cold branding but I need to design a brand.

Bigfoot":1ck4ohba said:
jltrent":1ck4ohba said:

If they get out, and get with somebody elses, a brand is your only recourse.

Your brand is not worth much if you are from a state that does not have brand inspection at the sale yards or slaughter plants. Your brand would also be worthless after crossing a state line. It would work well if your cattle were commingled with others by mistake.

skyhightree1":1yj939vk said:
jltrent":1yj939vk said:

I give mine grain daily and anyone holding a bucket they will run too . I feed mine daily in a corral so they are used to going in there. I have talked to fire sweep and am seriously thinking about cold branding but I need to design a brand.
A big tall tree. Or a tomahawk.

jedstivers":2h3aq0d1 said:
skyhightree1":2h3aq0d1 said:
jltrent":2h3aq0d1 said:

A big tall tree. Or a tomahawk.

:lol2: I was thinking a tomahawk would show up better... Jed all jokes aside that would be a cool brand :tiphat:

Those cattle were stole in Idaho where there is mandatory brand inspection. And they are surrounded by states with mandatory inspection. And my guess is that they were branded as most cattle in those states are. That doesn't mean there aren't ways around those laws. I won't list them here because there is no use in giving any thieves ideas. A brand isn't perfect but it is still the best system we have.

if you could put a GPS tracker on at least a couple of the animals in a large herd! In this day and age it's probably worth the investment.

I haven't seen my cows in about 5 days.. hope my parents have!

Nesikep":3h32qu6j said:
if you could put a GPS tracker on at least a couple of the animals in a large herd! In this day and age it's probably worth the investment.

I haven't seen my cows in about 5 days.. hope my parents have!

Nesi Check out the post about cattle with gps under breeding and calving issues

yes these cattle were all branded but the problems lie with them not knowing when they were removed from the range ,as it would have involved men on horse back and truck trailers, to move the cattle , they also could have been removed in small lots over the course of a few weeks , I have moved cattle from 1 allotment to another on the range , 2 to 3 people on horseback can move a lot of cows , as those cows know where they are being pushed ,as it is a routine for them , same with everyone moving cows from 1 pasture to the next , 10 head of Holsteins were also stolen from a 2500 head dairy but they got caught at the sale, as it was suspicious that they had removed their bangs tags

Suzanne

Latest posts