Have you seen this before ???

Help Support CattleToday:

Joy of Texas

Reaction score
This is has been the worse start of a year that we have had in years. I know it is not just us. One neighbor has lost 10 cows,another one lost 4 ,another has lost 7 ect.. We have lost 3 so far,I hope that's it! Most of the cows are going down and not getting back up. Some are dying in birthing and some are just dead. I have had prolapse before and after calving. I have had a cow stomp her calf to death. I don't know why. It was a beautiful heifer calf. The cow had it,cleaned it and nursed it. All was fine the first day. The next day the cow went nuts ,she just started pouncing on the calf. I couldn't get the calf away from her. I have never seen a cow do that.
This cow had lost her calf the last of december. So she was put on the sell list. She was a big cow ,but started losing weight. So I wormed her. I don't think it was worms . She never put any weight back on,I called the vet he said worm her again. I went out and she was standing by herself by a tree. So I drove by her to see what was up. Then I saw this....
P1130617.jpg

P1130614.jpg

Where her briskets are,they like detached themselves. Hanging down to where her knees are. I have never seen anything like this. Does anyone know what causes this ?

We have every mineral out,we feed cubes everyday and lick tubes are out. We put out hay every other day. All of our cows have been wormed.

Thank you redcow,poor ol cow just started going down after losing her calf. So maybe cancer . One man I talked to was thinking sand worms. But I would think all of my cows would be looking bad. I don't know.

Easy way to tell if it's her heart - make her pick her head way up. If she still has distended and/or pulsing jugulars, her heart is bad. Cows normally will have this with their head down or level but shouldn't if the head is held up high.

Also check for liver flukes as they cause a wide range of problems you have the perfect breeding conditions for the life cycle in your area at this time limited access to water, warmer temps, and recent rains. You are also running high stocking rates in the winter that most cattlemen never consider. The cows are hanging around the hay ring increasing your odds of investation.
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index ... n%2ccattle

redcowsrule33":d8qzi0ms said:
Easy way to tell if it's her heart - make her pick her head way up. If she still has distended and/or pulsing jugulars, her heart is bad. Cows normally will have this with their head down or level but shouldn't if the head is held up high.
This cow passed a couple of days ago. So I can't really check anything.

With all the cases you described I am betting an out break of liver flukes as you have perfect conditons for them at thia time. Most cattlemen do not treat for them as you have to use ivomec plus injectable to get them.
Area's around limited water with warmer temps are the perfect breeding ground.
You have to remember your stocking rates go way up in the winter look at your cows they all are feeding together at the hay ring spreading problems. Most cattlemen never even consider come winter conditions there stockin rate effectively has become 25 to 30 head per acre. This is a formula for problems and you area it is even worse.

One of the clostridial diseases(can't remember which one right now) can cause the brisket edema.
Are they vaccinated?

Joy of Texas[u:3t1ig2iq said:
":3t1ig2iq]This is has been the worse start of a year that we have had in years. I know it is not just us. [/u]One neighbor has lost 10 cows,another one lost 4 ,another has lost 7 ect.. We have lost 3 so far,I hope that's it! Most of the cows are going down and not getting back up. Some are dying in birthing and some are just dead. I have had prolapse before and after calving. I have had a cow stomp her calf to death. I don't know why. It was a beautiful heifer calf. The cow had it,cleaned it and nursed it. All was fine the first day. The next day the cow went nuts ,she just started pouncing on the calf. I couldn't get the calf away from her. I have never seen a cow do that.
This cow had lost her calf the last of december. So she was put on the sell list. She was a big cow ,but started losing weight. So I wormed her. I don't think it was worms . She never put any weight back on,I called the vet he said worm her again. I went out and she was standing by herself by a tree. So I drove by her to see what was up. Then I saw this....
P1130617.jpg

P1130614.jpg

Where her briskets are,they like detached themselves. Hanging down to where her knees are. I have never seen anything like this. Does anyone know what causes this ?

We have every mineral out,we feed cubes everyday and lick tubes are out. We put out hay every other day. All of our cows have been wormed.
been a pretty stressful winter... making alot of illness show they ugly head's.. cows immune system weak

She listed to many cows or hers and neighbors to be hardware, might as well treat them for holler tail as well.
The area they are in has been under stress for a couple of years making conditions right for an assortment of problems.

I would have one of these cows on the way to A&M for posting ASAP contaminated water supplies, and parasites can cause a multitude of problems including heart failure due to other organs failing.
Ticks can transmitt a whole nother pile of pasture protien as well. If you have tick investation need to get them to A&M as well. Take soil samples around water troughs and stock tanks to be tested for liver flukes, with as many cows as you described you have an epidemic brewing as you are in a storm right now. Get professinal help NOW.

Caustic Burno":31rap34w said:
She listed to many cows or hers and neighbors to be hardware, might as well treat them for holler tail as well.

Perhaps we misunderstood, but this particular cow was the only one with such symptoms, am I right? The others that calved and never got up were different, yes?

Burno is right in that there is probably a lot of different issues here. But if this is an isolated case, I stick to my theory on this particular cow.

I haven't ruled out Fat Liver Disease, never seen it that many cattle.
The profile you described fits for cows about to calf or have calved that are under stress.
There are just so many things that cause organ failure.
With the conditions occuring in your area this is to many cases to be coincidence.
The stressful enviroment of a couple years of drought on feed, water and paristes in Central Texas could have opened the lid on Pandora's box.
I would get with your neighbors and get some Help on the way.

This is another reason you need professional help from A&M.

Caustic Burno":1s232adt said:
I haven't ruled out Fat Liver Disease, never seen it that many cattle.
The profile you described fits for cows about to calf or have calved that are under stress.
There are just so many things that cause organ failure.
With the conditions occuring in your area this is to many cases to be coincidence.
The stressful enviroment of a couple years of drought on feed, water and paristes in Central Texas could have opened the lid on Pandora's box.
I would get with your neighbors and get some Help on the way.
This is another reason you need professional help from A&M.
thats for sure

joy i agree something weird is going on there.sorry that your having so much trouble with the cows.did you sell the cow that stomped her calf.i know of 2 guys this winter thats had trouble with their cows.1 guy had 2 cows go down for no known reason to him.an he lost the them.another guy i know had 3 cows to go down for no reason.so he had the vet with them.dont know what the prob was.or if he lost those cows.the 1st guy is supposed to get 30 bales of hay from us.

redcowsrule33":ioh03yri said:
Caustic Burno":ioh03yri said:

Perhaps we misunderstood, but this particular cow was the only one with such symptoms, am I right? The others that calved and never got up were different, yes?

Burno is right in that there is probably a lot of different issues here. But if this is an isolated case, I stick to my theory on this particular cow.

Yes you are correct. This is the only cow that has done this. The other cows that calved and never got back up . Were not on my place. This was problems someone else is having. The 2 that I had to prolaspe were first time heifers. The other 2 that I had to go down were old enough to vote and should have been sold.
I did take a water sample and a poo sample. I cleaned the one and only water trough. It had a small amount of alge.
Caustic I should have made it clear. What I call neighbors maybe 15-20 miles away. These are not the only people having trouble. It's the whole county. Just about anyone you talk to has problems with their cattle this year.
Yes,I know my land is not up to par. But we had over 200 wild hogs rip it to shreads.No rain ,no nothing.!
We planted oats,but no RAIN.
I did do some checking on the worm cubes that we have always used. I put these out twice a year. Never had any problems. Come to find out they changed the recipe.It now treats some of the worms,but not everything like it use to. I went off on these people. Why in the hell change something and not tell anyone . I am getting so tired of this crap. They make it where it is cheaper on them to make. Charge us the same high price.Then it's not working.

Joy of Texas":364dfu6e said:
redcowsrule33":364dfu6e said:
Caustic Burno":364dfu6e said:

Yes you are correct. This is the only cow that has done this. The other cows that calved and never got back up . Were not on my place. This was problems someone else is having. The 2 that I had to prolaspe were first time heifers. The other 2 that I had to go down were old enough to vote and should have been sold.
I did take a water sample and a poo sample. I cleaned the one and only water trough. It had a small amount of alge.
Caustic I should have made it clear. What I call neighbors maybe 15-20 miles away. These are not the only people having trouble. It's the whole county. Just about anyone you talk to has problems with their cattle this year.
Yes,I know my land is not up to par. But we had over 200 wild hogs rip it to shreads.No rain ,no nothing.!
We planted oats,but no RAIN.
I did do some checking on the worm cubes that we have always used. I put these out twice a year. Never had any problems. Come to find out they changed the recipe.It now treats some of the worms,but not everything like it use to. I went off on these people. Why in the be nice change something and not tell anyone . I am getting so tired of this crap. They make it where it is cheaper on them to make. Charge us the same high price.Then it's not working.
is this the only way you worm....... resistance buildup

Understandable to loose the voting girls in stressful conditions.

Joy you state the whole county is having problems, and this is coincidence?
Your area is in severe drought with possible compromised feed and water sources and this is coincidence?
You named off people losing a lot of cattle in a localized area this would raise a red flag with me that I needed some state help in my area.

Latest posts