Have you read the article onb the front page of CT

Help Support CattleToday:

Michelle Pankonien

Reaction score
If any one has not read the article " When buying a herd bull, first look at his Mama" please DO

Finally someone brings up a point that would seem to be just plain common sence, but apparently isn't.

If you are doing terminal cross breeding and going to sell every calf and buy all your replacements, this does not make concern you, but if you ever plan to have a productive herd with cows that have good longevity, this is a real must,

of course you need to see the dam, preferably in Milk, and if there are daughters out of her still in the herd that is another idicator that she's a goodun, she makes females good enough to keep in the herd, and if she is older, it is probably because she is a darn good cow that has made the grade year after year.

A good read, finally the cows getting some credit for all their contributions, not just the bull for his 1/2 that typically gets all the credit for the gooduns and none of the bad.

http://cattletoday.com/archive/2004/October/CT359.shtml

i haven't read the article but it's a good point you make, Michelle.

we always offer to show the dams of anything we're selling, whether it's herd bull or replacement female.

I guess the concept is similar to what a lot of us guys were advised by a friend or mentor, as teenagers, concerning our girlfriends --- if you want to know what she'll look like later on, you had better take a good hard look at her mother! :lol: :lol:

Arnold Ziffle":382navcj said:
I guess the concept is similar to what a lot of us guys were advised by a friend or mentor, as teenagers, concerning our girlfriends --- if you want to know what she'll look like later on, you had better take a good hard look at her mother! :lol: :lol:

I'd say that I've heard that in both regards....

We're the same way Michelle.. we want to show off the dam as well as the calf. In some instances we even have granddams available to see.

this morning actually, i was showing some pictures of some show calves to prospective buyers and on the slide show i had the picture of the dam right beside the calf. Having the the picture of the dam right there seemed to really help them decide which calf they liked best.
Like TheBullLady, i also made pictures of the GrandDams available.

Latest posts