Have you noticed?

Help Support CattleToday:

jgibson

Reaction score
I think this would be a fun topic to kick around. Have you noticed a correlation between a calf's sex and how close a cow gets to her due date?

For example, she went over her due date so it is probably a bull.

jgibson":t569jnzx said:
I think this would be a fun topic to kick around. Have you noticed a correlation between a calf's sex and how close a cow gets to her due date?

Had a heifer that is over due date, dropped a small heifer calf.

Taurus":2zf5hcec said:
jgibson":2zf5hcec said:

I think the Good Lord plays with the birth date just to keep humans away from the cow when she's due. Really blows my friend Inyati away at times.

TexasBred":36t7iqlq said:
Taurus":36t7iqlq said:
jgibson":36t7iqlq said:

I think the Good Lord plays with the birth date just to keep humans away from the cow when she's due. Really blows my friend Inyati away at times.

As Reagan would say, "now there you go again." :D

Well, I just went through my records, back two years, and this is what I came up with. We consider a normal term of 285 days in Simmental cattle, so late would be more than 285 and early would be 285 or less.
Early, Heifer calf - 6. Of those 6, 2 were from first calf heifers.
Early, Bull calf - 3. Of those 3, 2 were first calf heifers, and two pregnancies went 283 days.
Late, Heifer calf - 3. Of those three, one was from a first calf heifer.
Late, Bull calf -14. Of those 14 calves, 3 were out of first calf heifers.

So I would say my thought of bull calves usually being late is pretty close around our place!

Interesting.
Well just another thing: Have you noticed that dams & their daughters often calve the same day or either side of a day. I have this year.