Have you noticed .......

Help Support CattleToday:

vclavin

Reaction score
Watching cattle is a part of my life I truely enjoy. I have noticed behavior that I've always wondered if anyone else had seen as well. I understand most believe cattle are "stupid" and/or little or no "intelligence" after reading what I've observed, what do you "think".

1. I've watched the cows place calves on a hill together, the cows than layed around the calves in a circle (surrounding/corraling) with the bull making rounds as guard.

2. I've seen cows push calves in the barn and they then layed in front of the openings so calves could not get out - usually during storms.

3. I've seen cows play head to head games with calves, letting the little tikes push momma backwards as if to "win" the game. (play is supposed to be accomplished by intelligent animals..hmmm) Bull also plays with calves as well. The most surprising was when I observed the herd bull (at 2 1/2 yrs old) let a yearling push him backwards - clearly letting the young bull win the game -teaching him something?

4. When we moved the cows to the new farm, we had to check fences. Cows were checking out their new perimeter when they came across a pile of "old" cattle bones. The cows - in single procession - walked by the bones and as they passed by , turned their heads and "mooed" as if saying "goodbye" or "rest in peace" . It was quite eye opening to say the least.

5. When ready to calve, there is always 2 guard cows a respectable distance away from the mom to be as she gets ready to calve and during the calving process.

6. There's always a babysitter with the calves and usually a heifer when they are old enough. Like teaching them to be good moms. Bull even takes a turn once in awhile. When babysitting, they never leave the calves alone and are always the last ones up to receive grain. Cows/heifers are quite patient and don't seem to mind being late for feed, the bull is another story! He gets ansy and moos at the calves to "hurry"...LOL

7. Memory. They had me fooled into thinking they were forgetfull. Nope, just trusting. They always head for the hills when a squeeze chute arrives - lol. I have a 10 year old cow that remembered being allowed to go down the allay - vets alley(lol) so she could go to the pasture. Then come back in morning and evening to feed her blind heifer calf. To my surprise, she remembered that alley and going to pasture thru it again the following year.

There's more but gotta remember them - lol. Got any stories? Please share your thoughts and/or stories.
Valerie

ive seen my old herd bull let the younger bulls win a mock fight as well.an ive seen cows do some of the things your talking about.

What we call the community suck.

A number if years ago our first calf heifers were kept in a pasture where there was a little pass to go through to get to the water and back. Most of the calves would lie in this pass and when a heifer came through heading for water they all would jump up surround her and try to suck. Heifers are kind of dumb this way so they just stood. The heifers when sucked out would head on down for water. On the way back the same thing would happen as well as the same senario for each and every heifer. I don't think those calves left that pass all summer long.

ive seen cattle crap where they eat,, and eat while they crap,,, drink water while another is urinating ... and will try to kill you to keep you from helping em... oh i could spin a mile of yarn about how stupid they are :cowboy:

alacattleman":1bjewpjk said:
ive seen cattle crap where they eat,, and eat while they crap,,, drink water while another is urinating ... and will try to kill you to keep you from helping em...Mine don't, I can help a cow or heifers calf - shots, tube whatever, and all while the mom is licking my arms oh i could spin a mile of yarn about how stupid they are :cowboy:
Spin us a few not so obvious.
Valerie

Santas and Duhram Reds":2o9cn1k6 said:
I hope those heifers were milking. if they were virgin/dry heifers that could ruin their bag.
I've had the heifer let calves nurse them when not milking and no problems. HOw does this action harm the bag? I'd like to know so I can keep an eye out for trouble. Thanks
Valerie

We usually have a cow calve at same time or before the heifers so serve as a teacher. One year 3 sister heifers sue to calve at the same time. First 2 were fine. Last heifer screamed bloody murder - scared to death. Her sister walked over to her and gently mooed/cooed to her and licker her gently thereby calming her down and letting her know all was OK. It worked, she calmed down and had a unassisted bull calf.
Valerie

vclavin":3ijik8gl said:
HOw does this action harm the bag? I'd like to know so I can keep an eye out for trouble. Thanks
Valerie
Supposedly it can cause mastitis. I've never seen it and our yearling heifers let calves nurse them all the time. Kind of like a pacifier

Latest posts