Have you ever??

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown

Reaction score
Well calving is off and running, and I had another three born early this morn. So I came back to the house and got their supplies, iodine, meds, vitamins etc. and then check them all to see the sex ,2 bulls and a heifer. I then go back to the house and make up tags as well as record all the info..

I went back out this aft. to tag them and then fed everybody and gave bedding . When I was done I thought I would take a quick check on the babies ..To my surprise the heifer had a ball sac.. :help: .I don't know how I missed ,so I checked all three again and yep three bull calves. Now I have to cut out his tag and give him one the steers get..

It couldn't have been wishful thinking because I like the damms terminal calves and was hoping it would be a bull calf..Now I know to double check before I tag them.. :oops:

I went and checked the twins again too hoping that I had screwed that up as well, but no such luck they are still a boy and a girl.. :lol2:

:lol: Yup, I think we have all done that at least once. I know I've done it many times when I initially count new piglets.

Glad your calving is off to a good start.

Katherine

hillsdown":2jtdmy44 said:
Well calving is off and running, and I had another three born early this morn. So I came back to the house and got their supplies, iodine, meds, vitamins etc. and then check them all to see the sex ,2 bulls and a heifer. I then go back to the house and make up tags as well as record all the info..

I went back out this aft. to tag them and then fed everybody and gave bedding . When I was done I thought I would take a quick check on the babies ..To my surprise the heifer had a ball sac.. :help: .I don't know how I missed ,so I checked all three again and yep three bull calves. Now I have to cut out his tag and give him one the steers get..

It couldn't have been wishful thinking because I like the damms terminal calves and was hoping it would be a bull calf..Now I know to double check before I tag them.. :oops:

I went and checked the twins again too hoping that I had screwed that up as well, but no such luck they are still a boy and a girl.. :lol2:
GOSH HD I don't see how any competent, knowlegdeable person could make a mistake such as this, do you need to go back to anatomy class :lol: :lol:

I have heard of such things happening but never to me I am very thorough even if its momma is blowing snot in my face ;-) ;-)
we had one that got tagged as a hfr last yr and it grew balls also but my wife must of tagged it

Been there done that, usually blame it on hubby ;-) not looking close enough. Have also tagged the wrong calf with the wrong tag before too. Usually that is when I have 5 or 6 in the barn to be processed.

I check check check check...

Even when they're four weeks old, 'cause I'm paranoid that I'm actually stupid enough to rear a bull calf as a dairy cow.
But I've never discovered a mistake after the first look. There's been a few that caught me out on that first glance - a bull with the sac plastered wet to his leg, or with a bit of white under his tail.

Oh, years ago there was a missing red heifer. I never found her. But we did bring home a red bull that wasn't on the list as a newborn. I looked for that heifer for 2 - 3 days... guess there's only one logical conclusion.

Thanks everyone, glad to hear I am not the only one who needs a refresher course on anatomy :lol2: .

Got the little turkeys banded this morn.

Regolith I raised a Holstein bull calf as a heifer for three weeks before I did a double check. Hubby was a little too wishful when he sexed it because we had nothing but bulls born for two weeks. After that I made sure to check each calf again myself after they were put in my hutches.. ;-)

Yup, this year I've a heifer with a heifer tag and a scrotum. :mrgreen: (S)he can keep it for a while, see if he's clear of the various things he might be carrying in his genes, otherwise he'll get the chop with the vet at weaning. It wasn't me in the race at the time!!! :lol:

Latest posts