Have you ever picked pecans?

Help Support CattleToday:

Lammie":mdhbgt6m said:
We used to pick at this orchard owned by a fellow that my dad knew. He had pecans and peaches, so we'd pick fall and summer. I have to say I liked the peach thing better.

Lammie, I did the same thing as a kid! I was useless with the peaches, though. I'd always start eating them and within 8 or 10 fresh peaches I'd be too lazy to do anything. :)

The few remaining ancient pecan trees on our place rarely make anymore. We had a bumper crop 3 or 4 yrs ago (severe drought) but that was the only time in recent history. No shaking the trees here though. Wind will get them down soon enough if there's anything to be gotten.

I'm picking them like crazy here, we are getting .90 cents a lb. :nod: Yah, Christmas money !

I hear pecans around here are in short supply again for the 2 year in a row. We pick up on shares at a friends place. Lots of trees but short on nusts this year. When picking is good, we can pickup 50lbs an hour. Poor knees!!! We have them cracked and shook so picking out halves are easy. Sell quarts of pecans.
Valerie

I farm walnuts that are contracted with diamond and I was told that the pecan guys were getting over four dollars a pound this year for anything above junk. We don't have many acres of pecans in production out here but with prices like that it we can expect lots of new plantings in the near future. They don't do real well here so it's usually guys that don't know much about them that plant them but they can be coaxed into production here.

cow pollinater":2dhxsjpq said:
I farm walnuts that are contracted with diamond and I was told that the pecan guys were getting over four dollars a pound this year for anything above junk. We don't have many acres of pecans in production out here but with prices like that it we can expect lots of new plantings in the near future. They don't do real well here so it's usually guys that don't know much about them that plant them but they can be coaxed into production here.
I have no idea what the folks with the pecan orchards get paid but I see pecans almost everday for $7 to $9 for a small ziplock back full...I guess it's a pound maybe.

TexasBred":3g1h7t06 said:
cow pollinater":3g1h7t06 said:
I have no idea what the folks with the pecan orchards get paid but I see pecans almost everday for $7 to $9 for a small ziplock back full...I guess it's a pound maybe.
Black Walnuts sell for nutty prices like that too. But the huller only pays us 23-26 cents a pound

I used to own a small pecan orchard and sold it about 10 years ago. At the time I was getting $1 a pound
in the hull. You almost needed an armed guard to keep people off the place. No matter how many signs I put up, I would have to run some one off seems like every day. I even caught a guy at midnight once with a flashlight and a toe sack full. He couldn't run with the sack, and didn't have enough sense to leave it.

upfrombottom":1lrc6dj0 said:
I used to own a small pecan orchard and sold it about 10 years ago. At the time I was getting $1 a pound
in the hull. You almost needed an armed guard to keep people off the place. No matter how many signs I put up, I would have to run some one off seems like every day. I even caught a guy at midnight once with a flashlight and a toe sack full. He couldn't run with the sack, and didn't have enough sense to leave it.

That sounds like the guy that got caught here for stealing peaches. He would drive his pickup in the orchard about midnight and fill the bed with all he could get on it. At daylight he would be headed to the farmers market in Memphis.

I need an armed guard to keep the crows out of my pecans. They are worse than the squirrels. No kidding. I guess I'll have to get me a scarecrow.

upfrombottom":1rew888k said:
Sounds sort of like the old boy down in the deep south they fished out of the river....someone said he stole more chains than he could swim with. :lol2:

The prices are still holding high, at $1.15 a pound today. The wife got a ticket for failing to stop at a red light when making a right turn. We all chipped in and had her $117 ticket picked in a couple of hours.

There are more pecans this year than I've ever seen around here. The local pecan "plant", Bergeron pecans says that Japan and China are ordering them faster than we can supply. That coupled with the apparent low yield in Texas and Georgia this year has been a windfall for us. There are many, many pecan trees out in the pasture. Normally the wife and kids will only pick the trees that are in the yard; but I guess having to pay a ticket will make you dodge cow patties :lol2:

TexasBred":j9octq4c said:
upfrombottom":j9octq4c said:
Sounds sort of like the old boy down in the deep south they fished out of the river....someone said he stole more chains than he could swim with. :lol2:
Back years ago we had lots of people here that tried that I'm told.

cypressfarms":2kgd82c7 said:
This will show exactly how "country" I am, but if there were a place that I wouldn't mind people knowing I'm country, it would be here.

Pecan trees grow in a large part of the country but down south it's a money making venture. If you have pecan orchards, you can raise cows on the land and harvest pecans.

Since I was a kid though, the fall meant it was time to pick pecans. Almost everyone around will get their buckets out, find their favorite tree(s) and drop to their knees to start picking. I've done this since I was a kid, and continue to at 41, although I'll admit that the years the pecans are priced very low I don't bother.

Well pecans are bringing $1.00 per pound; almost every convenience/gas store buys pecans so it's easy to go out and pick 50 pounds in a couple of hours, and sell them quickly for a little cash. This year my plans are to pick enough to buy 4 or 5 heifers with the money.

Anyone else out there know about this dirty knee adventure?
When I was a kid it was expected that I pick about 40 lbs a day by hand. There were migrants that picked on the halves. Today the machines pick around 8000 lbs. a day, natives, on the same place.

Latest posts