Have you been here?

Help Support CattleToday:

Double R Ranch

Reaction score
Have any of you been to this school? http://www.etschool.com The site is not the greatest for help but I have contacted them and they replied with a fair amount of information.
"Our most popular course is the 5 day basic, bovine embryo transfer school in which students learn how to select & prepare donors & recipients, collect, recognize, manipulate, classify, freeze, thaw & transfer embryos.
Superovulated cows are provided daily with the opportunity of unlimited flushing & palpation. Unlimited frozen-thawed eggs and embryos are available for additional practice whenever needed. We supply all of the equipment needed for the school and we only use young, fertile cycling cows which are observed for heat every day to ensure optimal results. In order to provide students with quality in-vivo embryos it takes 3 weeks for estrous synchronization and superovulation treatments.
We limit the number of students per school to five. This ensures a high level of teacher/student interaction. Certificates of competency are given after taking the 5 day school & completing the theory & practical techniques of embryo transfer. It takes the average student 5 consecutive days to absorb the instructions & experience the different manipulations in cows & at the microscope when help is needed.
Tuition is $2,500 ($500 per day). The schools are held every month starting the first Tuesday except January which starts on the second Tuesday. We are located 35 miles from the Memphis TN airport in Senatobia MS. We provide transportation to and from the Memphis airport. Accommodation is in a local motel costing approximately $42 per night.
For those students who need training in AI a one day school is held the day before the embryo transfer school so the student then continues practicing AI for 5 days while learning the embryo transfer methods, the fee is $250.
Since we are a teaching organization and do not have as our primary object the sale of drugs and equipment we show you the most economical methods to perform embryo transfer e.g. we describe how to make medium for flushing (saving hundreds of dollars) also how to wash and sterilize equipment, all proven methods that do not lower results. In fact we show you where to purchase state-of-the-art-instruments (microscope and freezer) plus the laboratory equipment for a total of $3,550 (the same as we use). Our advice on the purchase of drugs & equipment will result in considerable savings initially & in the future which will more than cover the tuition."

If you have been here or know of it I would appreciate your opinion. Its a lot of money (less than other schools) but seems to be a great school that cares about the future of ET. It is a long ways away but seems to be a great school.
Thanks in advance,
Double R

I might be wrong, but at least around here they're only letting certified vets do ET. My sister tried to work with a vet for a summer internship doing ET and he told her that she couldn't touch the embryos or do anything with them.

showing71":1ajnwm2w said:
I might be wrong, but at least around here they're only letting certified vets do ET. My sister tried to work with a vet for a summer internship doing ET and he told her that she couldn't touch the embryos or do anything with them.

That would be in horses. Atleast here. ET is big in cattle around here and it isn't done by a vet.

Thinking maybe I should be worried if no one on here has been there. What schools have you all who do it gone to and where? What did you think of them?
Thanks,
Double R

Latest posts