Have a small bull & need advice on what to feed??

Help Support CattleToday:

b&langusfarms

Reaction score
I have a black angus bull who is 1 yr old. He is only weighing around 800lbs. He looks great body wise, he is just small. I am wanting some advice on feeding him to help him catch up and gain some weight. He was weaned at around 7 mths old.

It may not be what you feed. It sounds more genetic.
I have one about the same way. About to take me to the poor house in feed bills. I sure hope he makes up for it in quality.

novatech":3jnpyj4y said:
It may not be what you feed. It sounds more genetic.
I have one about the same way. About to take me to the poor house in feed bills. I sure hope he makes up for it in quality.

This hits it on the head. Feed can;t make up for genetics. If he had poor nutrition as a calf and up till now, feed may overcome the smaller size. But it may also take several years for him to really get to his genetic growth potential.

Yeah, at 1 year he should be 1200 pounds or more. Might be the feed or might be the genetics, hard to say from here. What has been his ration?

Just weighed our yearling bull and he came in at 850. This is similar to our two year old that is now 1650. He is a good size heifer bull--we don't have to worry about him breaking their backs.

mnmtranching":1i49pdbh said:
Yeah, at 1 year he should be 1200 pounds or more. Might be the feed or might be the genetics, hard to say from here. What has been his ration?

MM what do you feed them to get them from weaning weight up to that weight?

I raised 4 BA bulls last year from birth to 14 months and sold them to friends and neighbors for breeding. Not registered but purebred. These bulls weighed about 1300 ave at 14 months. They were not pushed, so I think they could have done some better. They were on good mixed hay, corn silage, some cracked corn and corn gluten with 30% lick tubs. When I'm bull shopping I would like to see a yearling weight of around 1200 pounds.

Latest posts