have a problem see if you no

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Have a calf that is a week old it ate the first two days and now i am having to tube him does not want a bottle it seems like its throat is hurting gave shot of LA200 can anyone help thanks.

Is it a dairy calf or beef? Have had some dairy calves who just seemed to quite on me. I gave antibotics and mixed in an egg yolk and a couple of tablespoons of brown sugar to the milk when I tubed them.However don't give sugar if they are scouring. Hope this helps.

> Have a calf that is a week old it
> ate the first two days and now i
> am having to tube him does not
> want a bottle it seems like its
> throat is hurting gave shot of
> LA200 can anyone help thanks.

[email protected]

he is a hostein bull calf, he doesnt seem sick though, this morning he tasted the bottle and that was it. We have been tubing him since sunday. We have lost a few this year from being sick and didnt know how to tube until recently, I was wondering about how long do you usually tube them before they take to the bottle again thanks for the info

> Is it a dairy calf or beef? Have
> had some dairy calves who just
> seemed to quite on me. I gave
> antibotics and mixed in an egg
> yolk and a couple of tablespoons
> of brown sugar to the milk when I
> tubed them.However don't give
> sugar if they are scouring. Hope
> this helps.

I had one a few years ago that I tried everything I could think of, tube fed him, gave anibotics' probotics,ammino acids ect.. Finally after 2 weeks I skipped a feeding and he got hungry enough to decide to suck the bottle again. Sometimes it seems dairy calves are born with a will to die!

> he is a hostein bull calf, he
> doesnt seem sick though, this
> morning he tasted the bottle and
> that was it. We have been tubing
> him since sunday. We have lost a
> few this year from being sick and
> didnt know how to tube until
> recently, I was wondering about
> how long do you usually tube them
> before they take to the bottle
> again thanks for the info

[email protected]

i have one that i am having to tube right now too... i have had to tube more calves this year too... maybe the cold wet weather, i dont know... this one i am tubing now has been sick.. given antibiotics, but i dont think the little girl knows how to suck... i am not sure.. it is most discouraging though... all i can say is hang in there as long as you can and good luck.. as long as he is alive there is hope for him.

if he was taking the bottle and quit, i dont know why he would quit unless he was sick... the challenge is getting them to start and some never do.... i tubed a calf once for six weeks before he got up to where i could sell him.. he had lost some of his hair and i didnt want to sell him that way..

good luck

gene

> he is a hostein bull calf, he
> doesnt seem sick though, this
> morning he tasted the bottle and
> that was it. We have been tubing
> him since sunday. We have lost a
> few this year from being sick and
> didnt know how to tube until
> recently, I was wondering about
> how long do you usually tube them
> before they take to the bottle