Hauling pig to the butcher

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Does anyone have any ideas on a better way to haul a single 300 lb pig to slaughter than pulling a stock trailer? Butcher is 1.5 hrs away and it seems ridiculous to pull a gn for a single pig. A cage would work but usually it's me and deadeye so 300 plus lbs would be a bit much to lift up onto the truck and back down. I've got other utility/flatbed trailers available.
Ideas? Or just pull the gn?

Trunk of a car will work. Or 5 pallets and a couple of ratchet straps and you have a perfect cage for a hawg.

M5farm":3ep5oew0 said:
Trunk of a car will work. Or 5 pallets and a couple of ratchet straps and you have a perfect cage for a hawg.
I've got a cage that will hold her..it's just getting it on the truck and off the truck with me and a 14 year old walking/ eating machine that doesn't doesn't have enough azz to match his eating habits.

hooknline":38q1479c said:
M5farm":38q1479c said:
I've got a cage that will hold her..it's just getting it on the truck and off the truck with me and a 14 year old walking/ eating machine that doesn't doesn't have enough azz to match his eating habits.

A good lawn mower or ATV trailer would work with the cage wouldn't it? Put the pig in the cage, pick up one end of the cage and back the trailer under there and just push from the other end then.

To handle the weight of the pig in a crate you might have, find or borrow an engine lift or jack to get it into the truck. If you got a block and tackle and maybe a pulley you could build an A-frame that would allow you to hoist the cage and drive under it. Could you pull pig and crate up a couple of planks with a come-along? Does the pig have to go to the butcher alive? Could you kill, gut and ice him down in the back of the truck and keep him fresh enough for the butcher?

I was thinking of using a 5x10 with sides i can remove thats a wood frame to haul a few calves at a time from the sale barn instead of hauling a big GN I would try to make a ramp and run it up on the truck then do the pallet trick if at all possible

hooknline":jvqgja6z said:
Dega Moo":jvqgja6z said:
Think Griswalds, National Lampoon, Vacation and the dog! Or Grandma!
Griswald is too liberal for my liking
I think you're taking your hatred for liberals a little too far, c'mon, why overcomplicate things just load the pig in the trailer and haul it in.

Getting on the truck wouldn't be bad. I'd just use the loader. It does have to go to the butcher alive. Guess ill stick to hauling them in the gn

Just load it in the back of a Ford Pinto stationwagon then put a box over it. With any luck it will get the box off then sit like a dog and look out the back window for it's ride.

Now there's an idea. I'll start lookin for one today. They were so wildly popular it shouldn't be too hard to find one right

hooknline":1d3scmhg said:
Now there's an idea. I'll start lookin for one today. They were so wildly popular it shouldn't be too hard to find one right
Last time I hauled a pig wihtout a trailer that was how I did it. Really splurged shortly there after and gopt a trailer. Wife took exception to the leftovers from the pig in the back of her pinto.

Latest posts