hauling cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

BRYANT

Reaction score
how cold is to cold to haul 11 450-525 weight steers/heifers 70 miles in a open bar top trailer. it has plywood in front for a wind break but no tarp on the top.

BRYANT":1gbafwbn said:
how cold is to cold to haul 11 450-525 weight steers/heifers 70 miles in a open bar top trailer. it has plywood in front for a wind break but no tarp on the top.

My checkbook determines my trips not ol mother nature :lol: my barns around 100 miles away and ive hauled in the middle of the winter and it was around 15 degrees. I wish you well on whatever you decide.

sky its one of them deals I would like to move them but don't have to I can wait a couple weeks if need be. I had rather not make them sick for the next man to have to deal with.

BRYANT":38ef4s00 said:
sky its one of them deals I would like to move them but don't have to I can wait a couple weeks if need be. I had rather not make them sick for the next man to have to deal with.

I understand for sure and respect that. Usually my selling is motivated by $$ or the calves have because huge problems and I need/want them gone ASAP or I need another pallet of dog food :lol:

BRYANT":3utjqf9c said:

If you have the option of waiting, just pick a day when the temperature is above freezing. I looked at the weather for Oklahoma City and see that the temperature is above freezing all day on Tuesday, Feb. 13.

Stress is one of the bigger factors... Their resistance will be lower making them susceptible ...if they don't catch some bug on the trip....They'll be in shape to catch one when their penned up..shipping fever is rough deal..

can you pull a tarp over it? I've hauled at 20F for 120 miles a number of times... and my trailer is pretty much open as well
If the sides are solid about 4 ft (sheet of plywood) that'll break the wind from them pretty well.. give them a good meal first and maybe some grain, if they stay overnight at the yard request feed and water

Latest posts