Hauling Cattle in the HEAT

Help Support CattleToday:

We travel Michigan to Georgia, it is about a 16 hour trip. We go straight thru, make our gas stops as quick as we possibly can. Get them filled up good for a couple of days prior to the trip and try to get them to drink just before getting on to the trailer. They do okay with this but they are ready to get off that trailer when we get there, sometimes they are anxious to drink but some will turn their nose up at the first offering of the new water (even though we filter it). With that 8 hour trip and the plan you have described I think your cattle will do just fine, keep the trailer moving.

I realize that this thread is all but over but in my experience with summer hauling the best is to open up all the air vents you have in your trailer (nose and front) and keep few enough animals that they can lay down in the bedding. Since your going to have water available to them I wouldn't spray them as your just going to mess with their natural cooling systems. Travel in the cool of the day and you should be able to quickly, safely, and without harm to the cattle.

Also I wouldn't worry about "shipping fever" as the actual hauling of the cattle is just the stressor that triggers a BVD or IBR infection. Whether or not you spray the cattle down has little to do with whether or not they get sick from the trip.

Jake":i65qj9my said:
I realize that this thread is all but over but in my experience with summer hauling the best is to open up all the air vents you have in your trailer (nose and front) and keep few enough animals that they can lay down in the bedding. Since your going to have water available to them I wouldn't spray them as your just going to mess with their natural cooling systems. Travel in the cool of the day and you should be able to quickly, safely, and without harm to the cattle.

Also I wouldn't worry about "shipping fever" as the actual hauling of the cattle is just the stressor that triggers a BVD or IBR infection. Whether or not you spray the cattle down has little to do with whether or not they get sick from the trip.

Thanks. Like I said the most I will be hauling is 4. If that is the case I will put one each of the heavy bred heifers in each section so they will have plent of room to lay down.
My trailer does not have vents either in front or in the nose. However it is very open on the sides so I should have great airflow. I may have some closeable vents installed but not before this trip.

Jake":2v5g44be said:
Since your going to have water available to them I wouldn't spray them as your just going to mess with their natural cooling systems.
:nod: :nod:
Hope all goes well.

Haul them at night, put shavings in the trailer, about 6-8 inches deep, and soak them down real well, the air flow will help the water evaperate and cool the air around them (like a swamp cooler) Misters with air flow will do the same thing.

I know some one who had to haul pigs to state fair in the heat, he put 50 pound blocks of ice in the trailer to help keep them cool along with the soaked shavings. Pigs licked the ice blocks along the way.

Putting water in trailer with them is a waste of time, they ain't gonna drink while you are running down the road. 8 hours is not that long of a trip load them up and head for home. No more stops than you can help. They will make the ride better if they are not full of feed and water.Do not let them drink all the water they want before you load them.

Red Bull Breeder":3edj4fva said:
Putting water in trailer with them is a waste of time, they ain't gonna drink while you are running down the road. 8 hours is not that long of a trip load them up and head for home. No more stops than you can help. They will make the ride better if they are not full of feed and water.Do not let them drink all the water they want before you load them.

Red Bull Breeder. I would really like to know your reason for saying that they should not be fed and watered before the trip. Are you thinking that they might Colic.

BTW with my mileage pulling that trailer numerous stops are not negociable. They are a neccisity. :help:

Full of feed plus stress equals more body heat. Full of water just means more on the trailer floor. Didn't say not to feed and water just don't let them fill up. Plus they will eat and drink quicker when you get them home.

Red Bull Breeder":3vp87w8c said:
Full of feed plus stress equals more body heat. Full of water just means more on the trailer floor. Didn't say not to feed and water just don't let them fill up. Plus they will eat and drink quicker when you get them home.

I agree with you on the "no feed" but would say they definitely need to start out with a full load of water. Sure they'll pee but they also need to stay hydrated. They probably won't drink a lot of the water put in the trailer but it's a good insurance policy to have it there IF they want it. Everytime 3Way stops they might get them a good drink of it since they won't be rockin' and rollin'.

Latest posts