Hauling cattle across state lines

Help Support CattleToday:

csutton

Reaction score
Wasn't sure which section to put this in.

Never really gave it much thought in the past, but is there any special requirements to haul your own cattle across state lines? I have been thinking of making a sale in OKC, but I have no idea if you have to have any special paperwork or permits to get them into Texas?

To clarify, I would be buying in Oklahoma, and then bringing them back to Texas.

I do from Oregon to California. A brand inspection and transport slip probably. But if you buy them at the sale yard, the brand inspector is right there.

I have no idea about Oklahoma or Texas, but brand inspection is required before leaving western SD.

IIRC, neighbors took cattle to summer pasture one year and also had to draw blood for Bangs test.

Guess there are different rules and different enforcement of those rules but I can be in Ky, Tn, and VA all within 30 minutes and have never heard of anyone being checked. But would still advise you to check closer.
That being said any loads of cattle leaving here going to Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa, or Texas require health papers.

Contact the Texas Animal Health Commission in Austin. They can tell you what you Ned to have to legally cross cattle into Texas. There are some checkpoints that they stop trailers and check for papers.

Just call your vet. He'll know or check the requirements for that state and give you a health certificate.

Moving across state lines requires a CVI - and depending upon the state, test-negative status for specific diseases, within a prescribed period - and that list varies widely from state to state.
If you move them without a CVI - and get stopped by the regulatory authorities...as slick says, the price goes up.

If you're buying cattle at a sale in OK, they should be handling the appropriate testing and having their vet issue a proper CVI - so you *should* be good to go, with those papers in-hand.

I had a similar situation on cattle from Kansas to Oklahoma
As other have said you have to get a Certificates of Veterinary Inspection (CVI)
You had to make arrangements with the on staff Vet before hand in order to get the animals purchased tested.

Some states require DOT certification to haul through. That may include CDL license and plates that are right for commercial operation. Have heard Iowa is strict on that stuff.

You'll need health papers (CVI), but any sale you're buying from should either have such papers already prepared on each lot or a vet at the sale to write them. If you're buying breeding stock from a production or consignment type sale, all necessary tests should already be done. Young calves, steers and livestock for slaughter should only need a health certificate.

If you're within 150 miles from your home farm/ranch, you shouldn't need a cdl. If it's farther, and your truck and trailer has a combined gvw greater than 26,000 lbs., you're supposed to.

That said, lot's of cattle move back and forth between TX and OK everyday without either. That's not to say you don't need health papers - better safe than sorry, but don't be surprised if you never have to show 'em to anybody.