Hauling a Semen Tank

Help Support CattleToday:

farmwife":vxwm0emp said:
Just curious how you haul your semen tank from A to B (inside or outside the cab).
Yes. Depends on how much junk I have inside the truck

I only ask because the place that fills our tank makes us haul it in the back of the truck or sign off on a pressurized cylinder release form...it puzzles me because the tank is not pressurized.

That's what I do - actually I put it in the back seat of my car and strap it in. I'm just puzzled by the requirement to sign a release to carry it inside the car.

In fact, when I took my AI course the instructor recommended carrying the tank inside the vehicle strapped in with the safety belt.

The place is just covering their butt so if you flip the car and get nitrogen all over you and suffer freezer burn the business will not be held liable for failure to tell you it is dangerous.

There is some language on the form somewhere that says they told you it was not safe. If you signed it you acknowledged that carrying the container in the vehicle is not safe.

Now.... I always carry mine in the cab too cause I don't want that expensive stuff getting pulled out of the tank by the speed and the air.

I also carry mine in the passenger seat of my truck, I run the seatbelt through one handle and then buckle it in. Keeps it safe and secure, I have way to much money sitting inside that thing to put it in the back of my truck.

I carry mine in the cab but nitrogen boiling off in the tank displaces oxygen. In large quantities in a closed environment you'll run out of oxygen.

That's what we were taught - can cause asphyxiation if the gas escapes.

As far as I recall - outside is best, if inside must always have a window open and in case of accident (and flying objects) must be firmly secured.
All the tanks I've leased have been covered in warning labels. Can't say I remember what's written on them though.

Always told to NOT have AI tank in the cab. It will deplete oxygen concentrations and over long journey will possibly lead to accidents. Tie tank securely in back of ute (pick-up) or in boot of car. Our AI technician and semen supplier have a pickup with a hard cover over ute back, entirely separate from cab area.

Inside the cab with a seat belt.
If your tank looses so much N that you think it may kill you then I would think about buying a new tank. If you are still worried about it crack the window open. Most late model cars have fresh air ventilation built in by the manufacturer. I have worked inside closed rooms storing over a million straws. Needless it to say I have had no ill effects as I am still here. A lot of the semen I have acquired over the years is irreplaceable. I am not about to let it bounce around in the back of a truck.

novatech":2ox6zik2 said:
A lot of the semen I have acquired over the years is irreplaceable. I am not about to let it bounce around in the back of a truck.
How is bouncing around in the back of the truck any different then in the front? With a hard enough jolt to damage the tank it ptobably wouldn;t matter where it was (aside from all of the nitrogen boiling off really fast inside the truck)
If the semen is frozen how would anything short of thawing it harm the semen (i.e. little swimmers)

dun":1yz39fst said:
novatech":1yz39fst said:
A lot of the semen I have acquired over the years is irreplaceable. I am not about to let it bounce around in the back of a truck.
How is bouncing around in the back of the truck any different then in the front? With a hard enough jolt to damage the tank it ptobably wouldn;t matter where it was (aside from all of the nitrogen boiling off really fast inside the truck)
If the semen is frozen how would anything short of thawing it harm the semen (i.e. little swimmers)
Between the bad county roads and all the other stuff that can fly around the back of my truck there is a high probability that something can bounce around and hit the tank. Any damage to the tank may not be known until it is to late. It does not have to be immediate or noticeable at the time to cause a loss of everything. It is simply to easy to set it in the seat, strap it down, and be safe. The seat is cushioned offering more protection. The back of a truck is not, unless special provisions are made.
To take this a step further, and I know you already know this, the way a tank is built is that it is a tank within a tank. The inner tank is suspended within the outer tank. The entire weight of all the nitrogen is being supported by (usually) fiberglass at the top of the tank. The back of the truck is metal that removes little to no shock where as the the cushioned seat will. Once the fiberglass seal/support is cracked the vacuum is lost. If the tank is not being checked often the you may not notice until it is to late.

I haul mine in the cab seatbelted in but if i dont have enough room because of riders i put it in the back in an old tire and tied just seems to make it a little more steady.

When I haul mine in the back I have it in a clover squarish looking object that strongly resembles the original box that it was shipped to me in, even says MVE on the outside. That gives it 2 layers of corrugated cardboard for padding on the bottom.

Just my 2 cents, I haul mine in the cab (front seat secured with a seatbelt) or (I have an extended cab) behind the passenger seat on the floor with the the passager seat move back to "pinch" it a bit between the two seats. I agree that there is probably very little risk of passing out because of leaking NL2.... as stated earlier, if your tank is leaking that much you have bigger problems than worring about hauling a tank. My ABS rep hauls his tanks in the back of his little pickup just sitting in tires, he has 3 tires and 3 tanks, he doesn't tie anything and doesn't seem to have a problem..... I'll keep mine up front.

Alan

As some of you know, I am an advocate of "overkill" when it comes to being safe or cautious, or being "picky - picky - picky". In My Opinion, anything that can preserve or protect the integrity of the sperm and their ability to perform their "duties" in the manner for which they were purchased in the first place is just that much more justified in utilizing AI for your breeding program. It seems to me that 'swallowing the bull (buying and storing semen) and then choking on the tail (not using EVERY means possible to ensure it's viability) is false economy! I recommend using every means possible to cushion, protect, insulate, and maintain the optimal care and temperature of the semen from collection to insemination in order to guarantee successful pregnancies. Whatever it takes in your particular case.

DOC HARRIS

'swallowing the bull

:eek: Huh you are pretty hard core Doc,but you won't get many cows breed doing that :p