Hauled a couple today

Help Support CattleToday:

Those are great prices...I wonder if people buy from there, load and drive a few hundred miles to another sale barn to sell? It could happen.
As stated it is very hard to make it work on slaughter cows. If you gain .05 but loose 100lb you have went in the hole.

Last edited:
Dang sure need to make 200 a head to make it pencil.

Fuel ain't cheap.
Then you got commission on the re-sell too!

GOT to buy em right for sure.

Friend of mine does it with regularity. Buys 2 or 3 here and there at the right price. Next thing ya know he's got a group of 30 of em all alike. He's got a bit of hay and feed in em, but the bigger group of like calves really makes the re-sell dollars go up!
He was taking a full trailer load with a 20 foot trailer. Calves would sell 30-40 cents higher in Toppenish. 10,000 pounds at 30 cents will buy a lot of fuel and pay a lot of commission.

When I was there about the time I weaned calves I would buy calves that matched with mine. I would add on enough to make a full semi load. Made the freight cheaper plus I would make money on the ones I bought. I would ship the calves on Sunday for one of their feeder specials on Tuesday. I have been up on the cat walk 2 hours before the sale started and seen my calves with their heads either in the feed bunk or the water trough. Certainly made up for any shrink from the ride over the hill.

I forgot to add shrinkage to my post.
Definitely easier to lose money than make it!

But there is still some sale barns around that are always cheaper. I've a hard time understanding why people still there aside from convenience.

Latest posts