Hate this when this happens

Help Support CattleToday:

Both calves are alive and well.
Yes, good save Silver. Whenever someone who calves late talks about sleeping all night I wonder about these situations. Intervening at 2am instead of the next morning sometime. How often does that 2nd calf get born alive? For all the talk of earlier calving herds losing calves to the cold - which in my experience rarely happens, how do those who sleep all night not lose calves to dystocia?

Yes, good save Silver. Whenever someone who calves late talks about sleeping all night I wonder about these situations. Intervening at 2am instead of the next morning sometime. How often does that 2nd calf get born alive? For all the talk of earlier calving herds losing calves to the cold - which in my experience rarely happens, how do those who sleep all night not lose calves to dystocia?
Well done, @Silver!

I calve out my heifers in the barn and have had a prolapse and one with both front legs back in the freakin' middle of the night. I don't have the expertise to handle a prolapse, but my vet's a rock star and was here in record time. Both heifers & calves were saved. Pretty much mainlined coffee the next day, but absolutely worth the lack of sleep.

Great that you were able to save the twin. We have been fortunate to mostly find them with a difficulty and get them in and save the calf. Lost one last year, 1 leg out like that . Calf was dead when we got her in and got the other leg, it was just bent down, easy delivery once we got the leg up.... but all 11 other heifers had just "spit them out" before her, and had no reason to think she wouldn't do the same.... She dried right up, bred back and is due here very soon. First one we have lost to mal presentation in many years. Found one dead the other day, and she was an old cow so she went to town. Looked like it was born dead. But several new ones on the ground and up and going well.... Just getting started.. SOOOO nice to have warmer, drier weather now.

Latest posts