Has Anyone Seen This?

Help Support CattleToday:

ROCK-N-W

Reaction score
I wanted to post this when It happened 2 months ago but was not sure how to exsplain it and I was busy with lots of ranch chores, So here goes.
I Watched a cow give birth in the middle of the pasture.
Everything went pretty normal including the cow eating her after birth the calf getting up pretty quick and nursing right off.
Both the cow & calf then layed down together for about a hour, I went along did some feeding up and went back to see how they we're going. Ok HERE WE GO
The cow got up as I stayed a fair distance away cause she's not the tameist cow when she has a calf, learned that one from previous exsperience.
She started ah bellowering real loud like something was attacking her, which I have heard similer when a coyote is after a calf or cow. Then she hiked up her tail and discharged a large bloody mass & started pawing at the ground, then started throwing up a clear substance from her mouth. The strange thing is My entire herd of cows was running towards her for all they we're worth and started stomping & kicking that new born calf, rasing up on thier back legs and coming down on her calf. I don't know why I ran for all I was worth when I could of drove alot quicker, but all I could think of was to get those cows and hieffers away from that calf. They almost stomped that calf to death I had to whipum off with my Hickory cane. It took them cows 20 minutes to calm down. Then I was worried the cow wouldn't take back the calf but after a while all was back to normal. It's as if when the herd smelled that blood they went into a blood frenzy. I been at this a good while and that was a first for me, My wife just sat in the truck in shock as I ran cow after cow away from that calf as they tried to kill it? Any one ever seen anything like that?

Yea heard of it but I think it was an episode of X-Files!

Seriously, that is the scariest thing I've heard! Cant wait to hear what others think

Good GAWD no, and I hope to heaven I never do...

Alice

Unfortunetly it is the truth.
It might explain some past losses that had no explanations.
I don't know who was madder those crazy cows or my worked up frenzy swinging that walking stick trying to keep um off that calf.

Seen lots of bull calfs go a little crazy at cutting time and cows,hieffers,bulls in confined spaces. Even had a few do thier best to run me threw and put a horn in the side of my truck & elswhere. But never my whole herd trying to stomp a newborn calf to death before. I have seen a whole herd mourn the loss of another cow though. It can't be the norm or I would have seen it before this time. It was like a stampede only directed at that calf. By the way the calf's fine

i tried to edit my post earlier but got kicked off before i finished.

cows go crazy at the smell at blood.

your cow bawling got them all in defense mode before they ever got there. bawling plus something unfamiliar on the ground = thing on ground getting trampled.

your cow bawling got them all in defense mode before they ever got there. bawling plus something unfamiliar on the ground = thing on ground getting trampled

Have you ever seen your cows try to stomp a newborn to death before?
I new it was the blood that made them go bezerk, I've just never seen it. I have watched them go after a coyote like that though, defending calfs. Got my blood flowing too.

Yikes! That is truly bizarre.. I can only imagine sitting there watching them! I've never heard of such.

Amazing what cattle will do! :roll:

No Diesel,
Just trying to Beef up like you brother.
Think you should show up at my next round up you might see quite a few things ya never have before. :roll:

like to see some '''''cowpunchin'''''''!
lemme know when thats happening im always willin to help someone who can teach me somethin

Latest posts