Has anyone made their own cattle feed

Help Support CattleToday:

I use my grinder mixer to grind homegrown Corn, Oats, Barley, and roasted Soybeans.
Add a mineral, vitamin mix. Usually 3 ton a week.

I grow corn and then pick it ear and all. I use a New Holland grinder mixer and grind the ear corn and mix in DDGS with it.

If you are ever given a truck load of peanut butter don't fall into the temptation of thinking this would be great protein to mix into a ration because if you add a couple barrels of peanut butter into a mixer grinder and mix hay with it the result will be the largest dung beetle ball you've ever seen and removing this magnificent ball from a mixer grinder is problematic to say the least. I know no one here would do anything like this, I'm just saying.

Jogeephus":2crf8142 said:
If you are ever given a truck load of peanut butter don't fall into the temptation of thinking this would be great protein to mix into a ration because if you add a couple barrels of peanut butter into a mixer grinder and mix hay with it the result will be the largest dung beetle ball you've ever seen and removing this magnificent ball from a mixer grinder is problematic to say the least. I know no one here would do anything like this, I'm just saying.

What?

Jogeephus":3gyhhta5 said:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I wonder how you could know that?

ez14.":1rzh40e8 said:
Jogeephus":1rzh40e8 said:

Probably telling us about what a friend did. A crying shame they couldn't give him a truck load of biscuits.

coyotefur":330rsuu2 said:
Has anyone made their own cattle feed?

If so, what did you grow and how did you do it?
Coyote most big operators will mix their own feed but they have commodity barns, buy ingredients by the semi load and use mixer wagons. It can be done on a small scale but really don't know that their would be any real benefit to it unless you kept it very simple. Don't know what you're planning on feeding but just buy you a good high quality commercial feed and go with it. Cattle feeds in general are not all that great but you can go extra lable and feed a high quality horse or swine feed and get excellent results because they normally won't contain any junk ingredients nor anything that would be harmful to a cow.

Keep it simple 500# hay 300# corn and 50# bag of cotton seed meal. Dont add salt and minerals it will rust the machine. Ive never used pellet of any kind because my grinder never emptys completly and they might mold inside and mix with my new feed the next time. Just whats been working for me.

TexasBred":1osdtfgj said:
ez14.":1osdtfgj said:
Jogeephus":1osdtfgj said:

Probably telling us about what a friend did. A crying shame they couldn't give him a truck load of biscuits.

I did get a semi-truck full of range cubes, mineral and bagged feed once. It was condemned due to mice damage and they needed the truck empty by the end of the day and I told them I was their man to take this problem off their hands. Being generous I called everyone I knew who had cattle and told them to come get what they wanted and learned quickly that the statistic is correct about most cattlemen being over the age of 65 because most everyone who showed up was in their seventies or better and I liked to have killed myself loading their trucks for them. Most of the youngsters requested I deliver it to them which just didn't happen but I'm sure they would have let me unload it for them and stack it in the hay loft for them being they were all so busy.

As for the peanut butter, the load - less two barrels used to make the largest dung beetle ball in the world ended up going to feed a friend's daughter's pet pig. He loved the butter and fattened nicely on it and eventually grew into fame and became a rural legend. Many of you know this pig as Hogzilla. As Paul Harvey would say, that's the rest of the story. As for the dung beetle ball, it was chipped and cut away a little piece at the time with new curse words invented with each handfull tossed from the mixer.

mmfd1379 said:
Keep it simple 500# hay 300# corn and 50# bag of cotton seed meal. Dont add salt and minerals it will rust the machine. Ive never used pellet of any kind because my grinder never emptys completly and they might mold inside and mix with my new feed the next time. Just whats been working for me.

would you recommend feeding this to 300lb steers? I'm trying to get a feed for growing cattle from 300-750. Are you grinding this all together? Thanks

Jogeephus said:

You should really call me when you're gonna try something like this. I would have payed good money to see this. And would have probably helped you invent an even more extensive vocabulary than the one you created while helping you remove this oversized peanut butter ball treat!

Jogeephus said:

I have seen this problem before. There was not enough jelly used as a lubricant...... :lol:

sstterry said:
Jogeephus said:

I have seen this problem before. There was not enough jelly used as a lubricant...... :lol:

By golly I bet you're right. Never crossed my mind about the jelly. :tiphat:

JMJ Farms said:
Jogeephus said:

You should really call me when you're gonna try something like this. I would have payed good money to see this. And would have probably helped you invent an even more extensive vocabulary than the one you created while helping you remove this oversized peanut butter ball treat! Definitely

I'm mixing 500 lbs of cotton seed with 1500 lbs of ground corn right now. Seems to be working good and it's less than $200/ton. Which is cheaper than anything I can find in my area.

5S Cattle said:
I'm mixing 500 lbs of cotton seed with 1500 lbs of ground corn right now. Seems to be working good and it's less than $200/ton. Which is cheaper than anything I can find in my area.

They certainly won't lack for energy. :nod:

5S Cattle said:

What are you mixing it in?

Latest posts