Has anyone ever peeled poplar?

Help Support CattleToday:

hillbilly beef man

Reaction score
Has anyone here ever peeled any poplar trees? Thinking about trying to peel some this spring in front of my logger, and was wondering how quickly it goes and if it is worth the trouble. They are paying $2.05 a square foot delivered for the bark.

Once the sap comes up it will peel easily. Unless your logger is very slow I doubt you could stay ahead of them. The trees will also stain quickly.

kenny thomas":2w24ejcm said:
Once the sap comes up it will peel easily. Unless your logger is very slow I doubt you could stay ahead of them. The trees will also stain quickly.
Staying ahead of the loggers should not be a problem. The old man I have lined up already told me it will take a year and a half for him to select harvest 90 acres, and that he did not even want to talk to me if I was in a hurry.
He has logged all his life and told me he is too old to fight mud and cold, and he only worked when the weather was decent. He is one of the few guys around here that do a good job of select harvesting. Suites me just fine.

kenny thomas":1hvo2l31 said:
Does select harvest mean taking the big, good straight trees and leaving the others. Most here do it that way.

This is what is normal around here. If you can't tell from the pic this is my neighbors place that they logged two years ago. They left less than half a dozen trees per acre. Loggers take absolutely every tree that is marketable down to pulp wood. This place will not have another marketable tree for 50 years. What I was wanting was leave everything 16 inches and smaller, and cut the trash that will never make a log, and hopefully I can log my place again in 20-25 years.

hillbilly beef man":12o4w3gi said:
kenny thomas":12o4w3gi said:
Does select harvest mean taking the big, good straight trees and leaving the others. Most here do it that way.

This is what is normal around here. If you can't tell from the pic this is my neighbors place that they logged two years ago. They left less than half a dozen trees per acre. Loggers take absolutely every tree that is marketable down to pulp wood. This place will not have another marketable tree for 50 years. What I was wanting was leave everything 16 inches and smaller, and cut the trash that will never make a log, and hopefully I can log my place again in 20-25 years.
Good plan, get the local TN Foerster to help you.

hillbilly beef man":10ayfuw9 said:
kenny thomas":10ayfuw9 said:
Staying ahead of the loggers should not be a problem. The old man I have lined up already told me it will take a year and a half for him to select harvest 90 acres, and that he did not even want to talk to me if I was in a hurry.
He has logged all his life and told me he is too old to fight mud and cold, and he only worked when the weather was decent. He is one of the few guys around here that do a good job of select harvesting. Suites me just fine.

Only problem I see with being long and drawn out is I want my money at current prices wait too long and prices can change drastically. When I have logging done I want my money before the first stick is cut then they can take as long as they want then. If he is cutting select specifically for you to peep that's a different story. I had a bunch of poplar logs cut up and I built a barn out of it.

hillbilly beef man":1okyb9kn said:
kenny thomas":1okyb9kn said:

clear cut here plant pines right after 20 years clear cut again and repeat the process. Do pines not do well there ?

skyhightree1":1w1gtfg9 said:
hillbilly beef man":1w1gtfg9 said:
kenny thomas":1w1gtfg9 said:

clear cut here plant pines right after 20 years clear cut again and repeat the process. Do pines not do well there ?

White pine is about the only pine that will grow here. It is $275/1000 now, so it is not worth much.

hillbilly beef man":1ttxpon4 said:
skyhightree1":1ttxpon4 said:
hillbilly beef man":1ttxpon4 said:

White pine is about the only pine that will grow here. It is $275/1000 now, so it is not worth much.

I understand it was like that where I grew up

kenny thomas":e9hr7ef5 said:
the few timber deeds I've seen specified the size tree that could be cut.....like 18" diameter, 15 inches above the ground. Something along that line and would include a fine or penalty for trees that were cut and too small. Still looks like a bomb went off when they finish.

Actually the best looking logging jobs here are the whole tree chipping. They clean up all the junk that has been left from high grade logging before. But all the chips can go to a power plant for electricity.

TexasBred":3m4mte82 said:
kenny thomas":3m4mte82 said:
the few timber deeds I've seen specified the size tree that could be cut.....like 18" diameter, 15 inches above the ground. Something along that line and would include a fine or penalty for trees that were cut and too small. Still looks like a bomb went off when they finish.

Here, we call that high grading and its not something you want to do. Here, we cull the poor trees like culling cattle leaving the best and when things are ready we peel the hide off the place and start over. No need to leave junk.

Jogeephus":2en6vzhp said:
TexasBred":2en6vzhp said:
kenny thomas":2en6vzhp said:

Here, we call that high grading and its not something you want to do. Here, we cull the poor trees like culling cattle leaving the best and when things are ready we peel the hide off the place and start over. No need to leave junk.
Don't know that they're leaving junk so much Joe as their just leaving immature trees that will be cut a few years down the road.

Latest posts