Has anyone actually re-bred a prolapsed vagina?

Help Support CattleToday:

Keren

Reaction score
My little patch of earth, Perth, WA, Australia
Just wondering, the advice is to cull the cow that prolapses her vagina as she will do it again and again, some say dont keep her daughters either, as they will be prone to it.

Was just curious if anyone has every actually kept the cow, and whether it did happen again? Or if you have kept a daughter and whether that daughter had problems?

Everyone says the same thing, get rid of the cow, but no one I've talked to has ever tried keeping the cow. Makes you wonder how they know that she will repeat it?

Sorry for my rambling thoughts. :tiphat:

When i was younger I thought I could fix anything. I have kept a few and most prolapsed again at breeding and then again at calving. I have kept heifers from them and some have had problems but not all. I decided why take a chance.
Had one last Sunday and did not even put it back in. She was only about 5 months bred so I sent her to slaughter.
As said if it just protrudes out and goes back in, usually not a problem.

This was a pretty bad situation. Had a first year heifer prolapse, got her sewn up. Let her out with the bull, BIG mistake. She prolapsed again. Planned to ship her that fall anyway.

I wouldn't even try it Keren. Next one will go out with the steers.

I've never had to deal with it here, but an uncle has had a couple or so through the years in a commercial herd, and in his case, they will be cows that are up in their teens, and they've sewn them back up so the cow can raise her last calf, and then usually ship her. There may have been one or so that they let have one more calf, probably because they forgot to ship her. IMO, if a cow goes past ten years without prolapsing, it's probably not a big issue. Again, in my own herd I've not had to make the call, and I hope that I don't.

My cousin breeds Limousins & he has this one particular cow that prolapsed while calving, calf was fine vet came out pushed everything back in & sowed up, got her back in calf I AI'd her that time - not nice, she calved again & yep prolapsed again same story as the first time. He's keeping her as she is a "blooming" good cow" I say she would wanna be because shes cost a fortune in vet fees just to sow her back up.

Kept one that had prolapsed after calving. Supposedly if the prolapse after calving they won;t do it again but if they prolapse before they will. The next year she prolapsed before calving.

About 3 years ago we had one of our prize cows prolapes. We had the vet come out to sew her up which made us very sad :cry2: especially when we lost the calf. We decided to give her one more chance, which actually paid off for us but the next year she prolaped again. So we said goodbye. :wave: As for keeping calves from her, we never got a chance, she would always have steers.

I forgot teh keeping her daughters part. Kept both of them, never had a problem with them. Ended up selling them, the second one is still going strong and is about to have her 5-6th calf. Friends of ours have her.

Some of you guys are talking about 2 different things here. A uterine prolapse is serious and the cow must go in most cases. We had an old hereford cow that vaginally prolapsed every year, like a softball coming out. It caused no problem whatsover. She finally left the herd due to cancer eye at 14 years.

dun":30ilfato said:
Kept one that had prolapsed after calving. Supposedly if the prolapse after calving they won;t do it again but if they prolapse before they will. The next year she prolapsed before calving.
had two full brahman sisters with vaginal prolaspe, right before calving ..but brahman look like they run around prolasped.

alacattleman":376byte6 said:
dun":376byte6 said:
had two full brahman sisters with vaginal prolaspe, right before calving ..but brahman look like they run around prolasped.

I don;t cnsider a bubble to be a real prolapse. To me a prolapse is the size of a basketball or larger and looks all wrinkley.
We had a cow prolapse last year (I call her poppin fresh) that was going to head down the road as soon as we weaned her calf. The market was so bad for kill cows she's still out wandering around the pasture and I'm sure is bred. This year if she's still here when she prolapses I'll get a picture

dun":19xx279b said:
alacattleman":19xx279b said:
dun":19xx279b said:

I don;t cnsider a bubble to be a real prolapse. To me a prolapse is the size of a basketball or larger and looks all wrinkley.
We had a cow prolapse last year (I call her poppin fresh) that was going to head down the road as soon as we weaned her calf. The market was so bad for kill cows she's still out wandering around the pasture and I'm sure is bred. This year if she's still here when she prolapses I'll get a picture
these had too be sewn up , the vigina turned, inside out

alacattleman":30vg7796 said:
dun":30vg7796 said:
these had too be sewn up , the vigina turned, inside out

Correct, those are the only ones I worry about. The smaller ones have always gone back in on their own if the cow walks some.

We had one a few years back. She prolapsed right after calving and had the vet out right away. He sewed her up and said all we needed to do was take the stitches (string) out before she calved. We bred her, took the stitches out, then shipped her. I had daughters and grand-daughters before I bought this cow, so yes, we do have daughters in our herd. They have actually been some of our better producers.
Hopefully, that did not jinx anything :shock:

i had one that came out like a basketball, sewed her up, lost the calf and sold her. if i see a bulge i am going to cull i don't want the hassel anymore. the vet told me it gets worse each year until it has to finally be sewed up. one of my best cows was bulging about a week before calving, i would like to get one more calf out of her but, i don't want to take a chance. she has finally had a heifer, she is a 2003 model, 5th calf.

Keren":2t9rajmn said:
thanks, very interesting guys

has anyone had a cow prolapse the vagina and NOT prolapse again after calving?

Yes I had one do it several years ago.I sewed her up twice not knowing she was that close to calving. The morning after the second sewing she had a calf and had not prolapsed again. She went to the market when she weaned that calf.

I have 1 cow that has calved twice since prolasping. the only problem is that about 6 months into the preg she has a minor vaginal prolapse. goes back in when she stands up.

Latest posts