Has anybody else?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Has anybody else tried the Holstien Bull + Herford cow = Herfstien then Herfstien Hefier + Herford Bull = What I like to call Roy's Georgian!!!

What are you looking for with that cross?? We had cross Holsteins with Brahman and then Simmental and then Simbrah 4 generations, the cross breds are comercial Simbrah (1/8 Holstein)
Roy":2modfkff said:
Has anybody else tried the Holstien Bull + Herford cow = Herfstien then Herfstien Hefier + Herford Bull = What I like to call Roy's Georgian!!!

No Roy i have not, but in the late 70,s,early 80, I raised some bottle calves,holstiens heifers. Crossed them with shorthorns, then crossed the crosses with shorthorn again getting 3/4 shorthorn and 1/4 holstiens. The results were good, on the 1/2 lots of milk on the 3/4 shorthorns they were good beef cows and made some good steers. I now raise Black Angus and there crosses( herefords, Limms, and hopefully Roma next year or two) but I still love them Shorthorns...ALF...

Roy":3a5lkw5i said:

I've heard holstein beef is really good, lot's of marbling which most people in this board don't realize translates into tenderness, and flavor.

Jersey's beef is more tender than Angus and is proven but Angus are more beefy and has alot more of backfat

BLACKPOWER":1t43p8fk said:
Roy":1t43p8fk said:

I've heard holstein beef is really good, lot's of marbling which most people in this board don't realize translates into tenderness, and flavor.

IN NEW ENGLAND THAT CROSS IS USED AND WE CALL THEM WHITE FACE. IT PRODUCES A NICE ANIMAL, PICTURE A BLACK ANGUS WITH A WHITE FACE AND THAT'S PRETTY MUCH WHAT YOU GET. NOW I'VE HEARD FROM SOME EXPERTS WHAT IS PRODUCING A SUPERB ANIMAL IS AN ANGUS BULL ( WHICH HAS TO BE CALM) AND AN HEREFORD COW.

Excellent oxen candidates!

dun

tom":3cq30leg said:
IN NEW ENGLAND THAT CROSS IS USED AND WE CALL THEM WHITE FACE. IT PRODUCES A NICE ANIMAL, PICTURE A BLACK ANGUS WITH A WHITE FACE AND THAT'S PRETTY MUCH WHAT YOU GET. NOW I'VE HEARD FROM SOME EXPERTS WHAT IS PRODUCING A SUPERB ANIMAL IS AN ANGUS BULL ( WHICH HAS TO BE CALM) AND AN HEREFORD COW.

A. delaGarza":3ibtg8se said:
What are you looking for with that cross?? We had cross Holsteins with Brahman and then Simmental and then Simbrah 4 generations, the cross breds are comercial Simbrah (1/8 Holstein)
Roy":3ibtg8se said:
Well you get a really nice large frame steer with good marbling abilty. They make an exellent beef cattle.

A. delaGarza said:
Roy said:
(Roy) Well you want the Holstien In them to provide more milk for the calves which gives you a bigger calve at weaning time which means more money. Keep the steer & you can picture a 'HUGE Black Baldie steer.

BLACKPOWER said:
Roy said:

I've heard holstein beef is really good, lot's of marbling which most people in this board don't realize translates into tenderness, and flavor.[/quote/] (Roy)Well you're right I would rather have Holstien or Jersey beef over any of those other breeds. The meat is great everyone should try it.

dun said:
Excellent oxen candidates!

dun

tom said:
(Roy) What do you mean by that?

By adding holstein into the bloodlines, it is going to increase the time it takes to finish them out because they won't be as good on rate of gain and it will also take longer to finish them out.

Anonymous said:
By adding holstein into the bloodlines, it is going to increase the time it takes to finish them out because they won't be as good on rate of gain and it will also take longer to finish them out.
Well who ever you are not really because the herford in them will make up for that. And thats why you cross herford into them twice. Gosh did you read what I said!!!!

but you could provide more milk using dual purpose breeds and the best of them in my personal opinion will be Normande it will add alot of milk (more than Simmies) and be more beefy than a Holstein cross. I repeat I had use Brahman-Holsteins cows that I bred them to Simmental bulls and than to Simbrah bulls but I have been using Normande and Tarentaise semen with my Brahman cows for the last 5 years (to increase milk and carcass quality) to produce the best commercial cow ever to use in tropical and humid land.
Roy":63pqzam2 said:
[/quote](Roy) Well you want the Holstien In them to provide more milk for the calves which gives you a bigger calve at weaning time which means more money. Keep the steer & you can picture a 'HUGE Black Baldie steer.[/quote]

DR --- he may be selling into the Mexican market where, believe it or not, filet mignon, steaks & ribeyes are NOT the preferred cuts--- if an article I read in The Cattleman magazine is accurate. A.Z.

Why would you want to add holstein into the bloodlines? Holstein steers finish out heavy and slow, their structure is huge, they throw big calves, and besides, any trait you want to get from a holstein, you can get from other beef breeds and come out with a much better animal. Anytime you add holstein into a beef herd your outcome is never great. I am not surprised at all that this "breed" hasn't become popular.

Hey!! Anonymous, maybe selling it to Mc Donalds that every American with the brain size of yours like to eat it everyday, In Mexico we eat the best cuts but we have market for almost every cut of beef depends what people can afford

Anonymous":bu3ttul3 said:
DR --- he may be selling into the Mexican market where, believe it or not, filet mignon, steaks & ribeyes are NOT the preferred cuts--- if an article I read in The Cattleman magazine is accurate. A.Z.

DeLaGarza read the article he is referring to. That's what the statement was contributed to. You should apologize to my friend and take English courses.

Latest posts