Harvey

Help Support CattleToday:

Texasmark

Reaction score
Doesn't look good for farmer's and ranchers down on the coast. Nothing any of us can do about the weather other than ride it out and hope for the best. Best for you guys. We are forecast for about 2" over Tue. and Wed. and surely that will rise as Harvey's remnants move NE as I see is happening on the Weather Channel and the Meterologist's predictions.

What hasn't been mentioned as yet is the fact that a lot of the Nation's refinery's are in the path of this sucker. I suspect big upsets in the supply and pricing of motor fuels as a result. Might be a heads up for you if you can get to it with everything else going on for you right now.

Best,
Mark

Texasmark":36bpztil said:
Doesn't look good for farmer's and ranchers down on the coast. Nothing any of us can do about the weather other than ride it out and hope for the best. Best for you guys. We are forecast for about 2" over Tue. and Wed. and surely that will rise as Harvey's remnants move NE as I see is happening on the Weather Channel and the Meterologist's predictions.

What hasn't been mentioned as yet is the fact that a lot of the Nation's refinery's are in the path of this sucker. I suspect big upsets in the supply and pricing of motor fuels as a result. Might be a heads up for you if you can get to it with everything else going on for you right now.

Best,
Mark

The refineries and channel operations was discussed in the welcome Harvey thread.

Texasmark":19dfd1bq said:
Where is it?

It is interwoven in the welcome Harvey thread.
Seen they are shutting down Exxon and Chevron Baytown.
I would imagine staffing along with shipping is forcing the issue.
Texas City along with Houston Ship Channel was still closed last I checked.

Texasmark":39j1761y said:

Best,
Mark

I wonder what the closing of the ports at corpus and Houston will cause to all commerce. Imports and exports. I suspect somehow money will be made at the top on both ends at the cost of the consumers. And all will be blamed on the storm.
The oil industry will do the same. About to see some real carpetbaggers

callmefence":p46x86my said:
Texasmark":p46x86my said:

Best,
Mark

I wonder what the closing of the ports at corpus and Houston will cause to all commerce. Imports and exports. I suspect somehow money will be made at the top on both ends at the cost of the consumers. And all will be blamed on the storm.

Just closing the Houston Ship Channel takes out a couple million barrels a day production . Most of the crude comes in by ship. It can take weeks to restart an entire refinery that is down cold.
The S/D of one major refinery has a huge impact on the markets much less multiple major refineries.
A large chunk of that refined crude goes up the Plantation pipeline for the
East coast.

Port Arthur and Beaumont catching it now along with us.
This could take out another large refinery chunk.
Last I looked we were running all our refinery infrastructure at 97%.
That doesn't leave a big buffer.

callmefence":2sprb1ju said:
Texasmark":2sprb1ju said:

Best,
Mark

Just in my tiny world it's going to have a big impact on my business.
We have several containers of steel products due in (disc blade, chisel points, bale spears and etc)
It may be months before it all gets sorted out.

Caustic Burno":16zouuix said:
callmefence":16zouuix said:
Texasmark":16zouuix said:

Best,
Mark

Just closing the Houston Ship Channel takes out a couple million barrels a day production . Most of the crude comes in by ship. It can take weeks to restart an entire refinery that is down cold.
The S/D of one major refinery has a huge impact on the markets much less multiple major refineries.
A large chunk of that refined crude goes up the Plantation pipeline for the
East coast.

Thanks for bringing that back up for me and anyone else interested........would expect everybody that consumes refined petroleum products!

Texasmark":qi51klwk said:

Best,
Mark

Heck I'm just trying to figure out why this was posted in Grasses, Pastures and Hay :???: :???: :???: :???: :???:

Just heard Motiva Port Arthur is shutting down that is the largest in USA
Baytown Exxon is down that is number 2.
Texas City Ship Channel open Marathon Galveston Bay Refinery number 3 running.

skyhightree1":1kyseuy0 said:
Texasmark":1kyseuy0 said:

Best,
Mark

Heck I'm just trying to figure out why this was posted in Grasses, Pastures and Hay :???: :???: :???: :???: :???:

Because the Texas Coastal Plains are full of grasses, pastures, hay and cattle!.......plus a few oil refineries!

Texasmark":10ouf43d said:
skyhightree1":10ouf43d said:
Texasmark":10ouf43d said:

Best,
Mark

Because the Texas Coastal Plains are full of grasses, pastures, hay and cattle!.......plus a few oil refineries!

If we were in school you'd get an F because your comprehension skills and rationale is warped.. but carry on.

kenny thomas":2l6518gk said:
Yes it is, most of the,day,I,have drove through it. Oil trucks,and,cows,

It's not a joke when you actually see it.

Oil and cattle have always gone hand and hand. The joke has always been make you money in the oil boom so you can spend it on your cattle.

Most of the O&G guys have cattle as their back up in the slumps. My family has done both for 3 genererations. When oil was dirt cheap and every one was laid off they worked cattle, built fence, barns, etc to make ends meet.

skyhightree1":k47fzdh0 said:
Texasmark":k47fzdh0 said:
skyhightree1":k47fzdh0 said:

If we were in school you'd get an F because your comprehension skills and rationale is warped.. but carry on.

And you are an authority? You are the third smartass encountered in my short tenure here.

Texasmark":3ildjrde said:
skyhightree1":3ildjrde said:
Texasmark":3ildjrde said:

And you are an authority? You are the third smartass encountered in my short tenure here.

Stick around. There are a lot more than 3.

Latest posts