Harvest and cleaning....

Help Support CattleToday:

4hfarms

Reaction score
Would like to know how many days you hang ur meat. Ummm let me rephrase that.... after a harvest, how long do you hang the animal before cutting it up. Reason I ask is because I heard some keep a gutted cow in the barn for a week. I usually give it a day or two, maybe three but packaged by dark on the third night. Depending on time and temp of harvest

And you...

Last edited:
Would like to know how many days you hang ur meat. Ummm let me rephrase that.... after a harvest, how long do you hang the animal before cutting it up. Reason aI ask is because I heard so e keep a terror cow in the barn for a week. I usually give it a day or two, maybe three but packaged by dark. Depending on time and temp of harvest

And you...
If you go search around on the enet there are studies on maximizing hanging time. I forgot what the break over point is.

Have only ever done deer... cattle always went to a custom processor.
With the deer... it depends on temperatures... Rarely do we get a long enough run of subfreezing temps to leave one hanging for more than 2 or 3 days...

Beef 10-14 days. Hogs 4-6 days.
My Grandpa used to hang hogs in the runway of the corn crib with the doors pulled shut. Dad said you'd have to go in there every once in a while and chase the barn cats away.

Latest posts