Hardware diease

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Has anyone ever heard of hardware diease? I have a bull calf approxamately 7 months old and he is swollen in the front half of his body.REALLY SWOLLEN! The vet says he is sure it is Hardware Diaese.Any info. would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

[email protected]

Hardware disease is damage/irritation primarily to the intestines from injesting metal. Nails, old wire staples, little pieces of baling wre from hay, etc. There are a number of things that can be done, but the best is to listen to your vet and follow his/her/its advice.

dun

> Has anyone ever heard of hardware
> diease? I have a bull calf
> approxamately 7 months old and he
> is swollen in the front half of
> his body.REALLY SWOLLEN! The vet
> says he is sure it is Hardware
> Diaese.Any info. would be greatly
> appreciated. Thank you.

Yes! Prevention is the best treatment. Any number of farms, ranches I've seen over the past years as well as seen from photos and/or website pics, have a lot of "attractive nuisances" scattered about...a/k/a clutter, stuff not picked up to keep the place neat. We raise registered Texas Longhorns and Gaited Horses. Several times a week I spend about an hour or less walking our pens, sub-pasture areas searching for nails, scraps of barb wire, and other easily ingestible items. On occasion, I will drive all around the pastures and pick up things that have surfaced, such as bottles, empty cans, or other stuff that has blown in (we have frontage on a US Hwy). Yes, this is a lot of effort and I usually do it after a rain (things seem to come out of the ground after one...lol). Know our method is out of the question for large operations; however, when walking thru or driving thru your pastures, doesn't hurt to stop and pick up stuff that could harm your critters. Lot cheaper than vet bills or damaged, dead livestock.

Latest posts