Hardening of Dewlap

Help Support CattleToday:

slick4591

Reaction score
Checking cows Saturday and I noticed that one of them had something unusual going on. At the bottom of the dewlap and encased it was hard like it was filled with something. This area is just under the brisket and none of the others have it. I have to take her in to get palpated and will have the vet check it out, but just wondering if anyone has any ideas of what it could be?

Years ago Granny had a big callous on the bottom of her dewlap. Pasture life seemed to make it go away

I don't know what it is, but I have had two or three do that over the years. They all lived long productive lives. As best I remember, when I pounded them out, it did not hurt their sale either. Probably a coincidence, but all were charbray.

Doesn't appear to be a callous, Dunn, it's all contained inside the skin. Bigfoot, I'll be sure and get the vet to tell me and I'll post back. Thanks for the replies.

Doc says the hardening is from her retaining fluid probably due to an injury (serum(sp) pocket). Says it didn't feel like an abscess, but to watch it and if it gets bigger he'll lance it.

On the down side she is open. If I could confirm she had been bred previously and not stuck then I'd have her suitcase packed. What stops me is she wasn't coming into heat until I hit her with lute, then she bred. I've been seeing her at least every other day and she was not cycling since bred. Yeah, everything tells me to ship her, but right now she is not costing me anything and being the hobby farmer I'm prone to give her one more chance. My bad luck with these girls tells me that I need to try everything to salvage what I can.

slick4591":900ddcb1 said:
Doc says the hardening is from her retaining fluid probably due to an injury (serum(sp) pocket). Says it didn't feel like an abscess, but to watch it and if it gets bigger he'll lance it.

On the down side she is open. If I could confirm she had been bred previously and not stuck then I'd have her suitcase packed. What stops me is she wasn't coming into heat until I hit her with lute, then she bred. I've been seeing her at least every other day and she was not cycling since bred. Yeah, everything tells me to ship her, but right now she is not costing me anything and being the hobby farmer I'm prone to give her one more chance. My bad luck with these girls tells me that I need to try everything to salvage what I can.
Well poop. Sorry about your luck with that heifer. The others are pregnant?