Hardee's and Angus Beef

Help Support CattleToday:

aplusmnt

Reaction score
Do not usually eat at Hardee's but ate there today and noticed on the Box it says 100% Angus beef. I knew they did the ads for this on TV but I figured they were Saying 100% CAB. But it did not mention Certified Angus Beef. It said 100% Angus.

Does Hardee's actually buy 100% Angus beef for there Restaurants or our they meaning CAB beef?

I asked a manager at a hardees and he said it was angus not CAB. He also knew the difference in the two.

I have often tried to find out from Hardees, what it takes for beef to qualify as Hardees beef. I have never gotten an answer. They have answered some of my e-mails but never explained what the requirements are fro beef to be called Angus beef.
If anyone knows please help me find an answer.

alabama":xyvxpv08 said:
I have often tried to find out from Hardees, what it takes for beef to qualify as Hardees beef. I have never gotten an answer. They have answered some of my e-mails but never explained what the requirements are fro beef to be called Angus beef.
If anyone knows please help me find an answer.

I asked the manger at our Hardees. He said they rely on their supplier to get them beef that qualifies. That's all he knew. Or would say. I wonder who their supplier is?

I sent another e-mail to Hardees as well as the answer man. I will post what I find out.

ga. prime":32m9su9s said:
That mushroom-swiss burger from Hardees is excellente grande. If it's not Angus, it oughta be.

I agree! That is what I had the other day. They are pretty awesome burgers.

I had the Angus burger at Burger King the other day.

Dry as shoe leather. They cooked it way too long.

I had a Simmenthal burger at my house last night. Beats the snot out of Hardees or BK.

dun

dun":2g6sw7zw said:
I had a Simmenthal burger at my house last night. Beats the snot out of Hardees or BK.

dun

I had a whitetail burger the other night, much cheaper than Hardees or BK. And you call yourself a tight wad! :lol:

cfpinz

Hardees responce:

Thank you for taking the time to share your question with us. Our goal is to make our guests happy--every guest, every time!

To answer your question, we purchase our beef from a beef supplier and that supplier is instructed to use only Angus beef in our patties. Under USDA regulations and truth in advertising laws, the supplier must comply with our standards.

Please feel free to contact us again at any time.

Sincerely,

Kelly
Hardee's Guest Response

And the answer man's responce:

thanks for the note -- i addressed this, as best i could, not long ago...angus certification is very murky...you might search our web site for "angus" and see if you can find that column...

best wishes and happy eating!

answer man

I could not find his column.

So the "answer man" had no answer...
I love Hardees answer also, we have someone who does something. And you know its the truth because we wouldnt lie, because its against the law....

They do have great burgers, Do you know that they come pre-cooked to the store?
Hey when a teenage boys is cooking, you better just let him warm em up.

MD

Dun's right as usual, the best burgers are cooked at home from hamburger bought at the IGA and made up of who knows what, but the best storebought burgers are Hardees and BK.

ga. prime":1efbyf5y said:
Dun's right as usual, the best burgers are cooked at home from hamburger bought at the IGA and made up of who knows what, but the best storebought burgers are Hardees and BK.

I was thinking dun meant he had a burger from something he raised and butchered, not store bought. Otherwise, how would he know it was Simmenthal? (Notice I spelled it your way, dun). ;-)

Angus DNA Test Results
Tiffany Craig
WKRG Channel 5
Nov 29, 2006 printer friendly format
e-mail this story

View Report
The age old question "Where's the Beef? Is taking on new life with a new word? "Where's the Angus?

News Five DNA tested Angus beef from eight different businesses and sent them to a private D-N-A testing lab in Metairie, Louisiana. It's called Eurofins Genescan. Steven Adamson is the lab manager.

"What we found was that of those eight samples only three of them were truly Aberdeen Angus beef." Outside the lab, Aberdeen Angus is commonly referred to as black Angus or just Angus beef. However, as you are about to learn, what qualifies as Angus beef isn't so simple. Let's start with where we tested.

We made a drive-thru stop to buy an Angus burger at a Hardee's restaurant in Mobile and an Angus sandwich at a Quizno's in Robertsdale.

News 5 bought what was advertised as Angus steak at Bilotti's Italian Caf? in Mobile and a steak at a Bruno's grocery store in Mobile. We also purchased an Angus filet at Moore Bros. Village Market in Magnolia Springs and an Angus steak burger at McGuire's Irish Pub in Pensacola. We forked over cash for an Angus steak at Four Winds Fine Food Market in Pensacola and made one more Angus stop at Backyard Burger in Mobile.

We packaged up all of our samples and shipped them to Eurofins Genescan in Louisiana.

The three samples that are 100% D-N-A tested Angus are Four Winds in Pensacola, Bruno's in Mobile and Moore Bros. in Magnolia Springs! Moore Bros. Owner Charlie Houser was thrilled we decided to test for Angus! "I think it's great. I really do. I'm really glad to know that you did that because as you've already found a lot of people advertise Angus product. They may sell Angus product but they don't sell 100% Angus product."

Five of our eight samples did not D-N-A test as 100% Angus. They are Hardee's, Quizno's, McGuire's Irish Pub, Backyard Burger and Bilotti's Italian Caf?. Our Bilotti's ribeye steak that was listed on the menu as Angus had no Angus in it at all according to our D-N-A test. Manager Wes Ehlert agreed to talk to News 5. "We had pulled all the advertisements off the tables." Ehlert showed us all the signs they pulled down and says it was just getting too expensive to sell. The only problem is that they didn't take the word Angus off the menu! "We try to be as honest up front and open with customers. It was an oversight on our part and we apologize. We weren't trying to deceive anyone." Bilotti's quickly printed new menus and promised to fix the problem.

The rest of the samples we tested contained a percentage Angus but also had other types of beef mixed in. It's a little like the wild west with Angus. The U.S. Department of Agriculture doesn't have a formal standard for determining angus beef. Instead, they enforce a beef industry definition that goes by either genetics or physical angus-influenced characteristics. In other words, if it looks like Angus!

Chris Kerth is a Meat Scientist at Auburn University. "I think as with anything whenever a claim is made as to a quality or what's put on the label, it should stand up to a given amount of scrutiny. If it can't do that, then the system needs some tweaking to make sure it can. If you're claiming that it's 100 %, are you sure that you can back that up? So that certainly raises a yellow flag that maybe we ought to look at that a little bit closer to make sure that there actually doing what they say."

So we did question Hardee's. Their Thickburger is advertised as 100% Angus but D-N-A tests show it's 70% Angus and 30% non-Angus. A spokesperson for the chain said in a statement that "our thickburgers are made with 100% Angus beef." but when asked about advertising to consumers who don't know the USDA rules, the response was... "We are not interested in commenting specifically on USDA standards, other than to say we follow them."

Quizno's Angus steak sandwich D-N-A tested at 50% Angus and 50% non-Angus. The corporate Quizno's statement was that.. "no where in our restaurants or on our menus or sales posters do we state 100 percent angus beef" but when News 5 bought the sandwich, it was advertised as 100%. We went back again to check and they had taken down the sign! The Quizno's statement goes on to say that "our products under USDA guidelines most definitely meet all the criteria required to be labeled Angus beef."

Backyard Burger also advertises as 100% Angus but D-N-A tested as 75% Angus and 25 % non-Angus. Their Chief Operating Officer Joe Weiss said in a statement about our D-N-A results that... "it is not uncommon for test results to vary because once a patty is cooked, the dna may be broken down." We checked with our D-N-A lab and they confirm that cooking does not change the meat identifying D-N-A.

A later statement said that "the patties are made with 100 percent black angus raw materials." Then, we were referred to their supplier called Cargill Foodservice Meat Solutions. Their explanation is that.. "the angus influence alone would not deliver great beef... and that... "it's the combination of specifications that make a brand click"

McGuire's steak burger D-N-A tested as 90% Angus and 10% non-Angus. McGuire's did not claim to sell 100% just Certified Angus Beef. We were sent to their supplier who referred us to the Certified Angus Beef Company. A spokesperson for the brand says... "the certified angus beef brand does not claim to be 100 percent angus beef" and that "the angus breed is a good place to start when selecting quality beef, but it's the beef quality standards that ensure a delicious product."

Meat expert Chris Kerth was not surprised by what we found. "One of the problems is a certain amount of inconsistency and that's just the nature of the beast so to speak."

So the next time you ask the question, "Where's the Beef?" If you're looking for Angus, it's not that cut and dry!

Technically, by USDA standards, all of the places that D-N-A tested with some percentage of Angus can call their product Angus beef. Now, as a consumer you know that when it says 100%, it's not always how you and I translate that.

Here's our proof.??See the DNA Reports (pdf 157KB)

i worked in beef sales in the packing plant industry for years. to make a very long story very short, the USDA qualifies a cow as "angus" if it is 51% black hide (phenotype basis).

there are also some obscure and vague rules (the hump behind the neck, etc etc). but they're primarily looking at the hide. it's tougher to get a pure-bred red angus qualified as angus than it is to get something that eats like old shoe-leather (simmy or limo) that happens to be black!

Wife brought home Hardee's burgers last night for supper. I don't care if they were ayrshire or even airedale, those are the best fast food burgers out there.

cfpinz

Latest posts