Hard Work

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
I have made a number of visits to the Fire Sweep Simmental Ranch. It absolutely amazes me how hard their two children work. It bothers me that they don't get much time to be kids. Every day after school and on weekends, their kids work their cattle, care for them and complete all the other chores involved in animal husbandry required to perform at the show level. So many times we criticize today's young generation. I think in many, many cases, it is an unjust generalization.

Kris sent me this picture. They are at the Simmental Regionals in Arkansas. The heifer is out of a first calf heifer that I bred and raised here at my farm. The heifer calf is an Elevate. Her son has done a great job with her.
29y1ekj.jpg

There is a major difference between farm kids and city kids. I am sponsoring a family now. 3 kids, home schooled. Extremely well adjusted, talkative, out-going. Mom was from rural farm life. She & her brother showed animals in 4-H. The kids are 14, 11, & 7. They show up every morning during the week at 8 am (set your clock by them). Mom jumps right in with the kids.
Our ag kids are not BORED. Hard work? You bet. Busy hands & minds stay out of trouble.
I don't think I have ever heard a farm kid talk back to their parents, like I hear in the stores. And I have been working with beef kids forever?? been a state advisor for 28 years and worked with them before that.
GREAT heifer BTW!! Congrats to all their work.

Latest posts