Hard Work or Good Exercise?

Help Support CattleToday:

Brahma Bull

Reaction score
Reading a lot of topics on farm topics and even hunting,different web site too.Lot of talk about saving labor,easier ways to do it,less work.When it comes to hauling hay,packing bags of feed,feeding cows,digging post holes,
burning brush,do a lot of walking hunting.It all requires and demands lot of physical labor.Even here at my job I sometimes hear how hard the work is.My reply always is "It's not hard work,it's good exercise".Some people we all know much rather ride the elevator than take the steps.I don't always agree or have to do everything the hard way.Depends on how you look at it.
Maybe why farmers live to be older,how some advance in life.Your getting paid to do exercise.Did hard work really ever kill anyone?Moderation not over doing it perhaps.I still get hard looks.

Thats the reason previous generations ate salted meat 3 times a day and had no heart issues.Ever notice how many people use a riding mower then go jogging or the gym ?

mtncows":3gninlyj said:
Thats the reason previous generations ate salted meat 3 times a day and had no heart issues.Ever notice how many people use a riding mower then go jogging or the gym ?

I totally agree.
When fuel got high I decided to go back to walking the fencelines to check them. That was in June I am 30 pounds lighter today. We do so much today with automation, versus the older generations did a lot more manuel labor. I know Dad ate bacon and eggs every morning got him at 88 finally .

Good honest hard work is good for you. Keeps you honed. But its not how hard you work but how smart you work that makes the difference in how much you get accomplished in a days time - or in a life time.

Even when I don't feel well, I find that getting out and doing the chores makes me feel better. Especially when I am bothered about something. It is a good way to work out frustrations.

i dont mind the hard work.as a matter of fact i consider work exorcise.bring the cows an calves up with the 4 wheeler.then park it walk calves in the corral on foot.then sort out the ones we dont want.i even feed on foot.but thats if the cows arnt up.dont need to get stomped.

Next to family, My # 1 passion is the outdoors, hunting, hiking, stuff like that. Oh yeah I'll walk to check cattle. Everyday I walk. Another thing nice about owning a cattle ranch. I can walk and walk and walk.
And I work some to. :cboy:

I get on to my parents who eat out several times a week, and eat very unhealthlty when they do eat. When I try to get my dad to eat better, he tells me his grandparents lived a long time eating the way his does. I tell him that was then this is now, and that his grandparents worked hard on their land, picking cotton, tending cattle. Of course, they didn't watch TV either.

My mother is already a heart patient, now my dad is too. I picked him up from the hospital just this past Saturday. I have learned to be the most patient person with those two and to ignore things. If I get bent out of sharp, I go outside and work. I can get a ton of things done or moved when PO. :shock: :D

I prefer Hard Work though
I do excerise and try to eat right, but I feel I get more out of hard work. With hard work I see that I have accomplished something, instead of counting push ups or something. I sit at a desk all day, so every chance I get, I get up, walk around while talking to co-workers or techs who help me with our system. I always use the stairs at the office building instead of the elevator. By the time the elevator arrives and the doors open, I could have gone up and down the stairs several times. :roll: I don't watch much TV, I am constantly doing something. I have 4 horses to care for, I help a neighbor with her horse, and keep an eye on another neighbor's cattle and land. I read the boards and try to learn something.

Hard work never hurt anyone. It may put premature wear and tear on Hip Joints,Backs, etc. Way back when, folks could eat all the Bacon, Country Ham and about anything else cause they burned it off and sweated it out working with Mules and hand Tools.There was no time to sit around, except maybe at the Supper table in the evenings. A lot of times I pick up a Ratchet when I could use an impact gun out in the shop, or like CB said, walk instead of ride.

I have pushed this ol body to the limit all my life. Lucky I am built small(140lbs since 19yr old and still holding)and could handle it pretty well. Would not let someone working beside me do more work than me.Never had a job I didn't have to do manual labor at.Retired 3yrs come march and now taking care of 43 head of momma cows and around 740 acres and all that goes with upkeep of buildings and equipment. I have always been independent and never punched a time clock or had someone telling me every move I made. But now that I have retired I have a VERY strict boss telling me every move I make,and when I don't listen he punishes me pretty hard. He is one of them ol Itis boys with the first name of Aurther. I'm sure some of ya'll work under him also.

Cal

Calman":237u0592 said:
I have pushed this ol body to the limit all my life. Lucky I am built small(140lbs since 19yr old and still holding)and could handle it pretty well. Would not let someone working beside me do more work than me.Never had a job I didn't have to do manual labor at.Retired 3yrs come march and now taking care of 43 head of momma cows and around 740 acres and all that goes with upkeep of buildings and equipment. I have always been independent and never punched a time clock or had someone telling me every move I made. But now that I have retired I have a VERY strict boss telling me every move I make,and when I don't listen he punishes me pretty hard. He is one of them ol Itis boys with the first name of Aurther. I'm sure some of ya'll work under him also.

Cal

The Arthur I work under is a drug addict. Eats aspirin and the other OTC pain stuff by the handfull.

I've often wondered about this subject with modern day farmers etc. I still live in the residential area (yuck) but have been involved with athletics through my school years and after that never stopped working out and running consistently. I'm almost 40 now and still run 3 days a week and workout two days. I also help a family friend whenever possible who has around 200 head of Angus. I do believe hard work is just good for you and we as a culture have pretty much lost the value of good hard manual labor.

Brahma Bull":19no30xe said:
Did hard work really ever kill anyone?

Maybe - way back in the early days when people were plowing with mules and hay was thatched and put up by hand. Since the invention of the tractor, I don't think so. :lol: I tend to agree with you that it's good excercise. Even when I'm dragging butt tired, there is a satisfaction from a good day's work that can't be found in any other job. I really like that feeling!

Excersise is a good thing ... for both the body and the mind.

Some folks don't like change that challenges their minds. I have seen that here recently.

I ain't never got use to whiners.

msscamp":25oiy8j7 said:
Brahma Bull":25oiy8j7 said:
Did hard work really ever kill anyone?

Maybe - way back in the early days when people were plowing with mules and hay was thatched and put up by hand. Since the invention of the tractor, I don't think so. :lol: I tend to agree with you that it's good excercise. Even when I'm dragging butt tired, there is a satisfaction from a good day's work that can't be found in any other job. I really like that feeling!
Yep the love of labor.Some of my fondess memories are hauling hay during summer months out of school.Most time 500 to 1000 square bales.When I bought my first property,built the fence all alone.Planting thousands of pine trees.Working so many years roughnecking both land and offshore.Burning brush and running a chainsaw all day long cutting fire wood.Packing deer out of the woods.Working on the farm before sunrise to after dark,dog tired and worn out but satisfied it was a good days work.Mowing the yard with a push mower.Mowing the pasture with a Ford 8N.Hate roofing.Love walking a hour every morning at sunrise,when I do my most thinking.Could never ever live in the city or work in an office.When I get home off this ship on vacation shortly,the real work begins,sunup to sunset.

Hard work is the character of your soul. It ultimately determines who you are.
The slow demise of our country is directly related to the lack of the ethics of hard work.
The new way of the easy way is ultimately destroying the very fabric of our society.
I have ultimate respect for anyone that gets what they have from the labor of their own hands.
The winers :cry2: and the whole world owes me a liven folks turn this old buzzards stomach sour.
What I don't understand is when you finally start to reap some rewards from all your hard labor.
Why someone is always there to try to benefit from the sweat of your bro? Government, Family, Friends.
That is a big list that seems to get bigger each & every day.
I don't pretend to have all the answers but as you look at the youth that is coming up today don't cha think a little hard work would be of some major value?
Instilling hard work and values into the youth of this country may only be a pipe dream but it is a lost value that is less and less practiced today.
I just wish we we were not losing the very best of our young men and women who only want to better them selfs and family's with duty, hard work, and patriotism, while our city's, and rural neighborhoods continue to become cesspool's of crime and scumbag trash.
My kids call me a workaholic I wouldn't have it any other way. If a rancher knows one thing thats how to just GET ER DONE! :hat:

ROCK-N-W":3pmwo9lr said:
Hard work is the character of your soul. It ultimately determines who you are.
The slow demise of our country is directly related to the lack of the ethics of hard work.
The new way of the easy way is ultimately destroying the very fabric of our society.
I have ultimate respect for anyone that gets what they have from the labor of their own hands.
The winers :cry2: and the whole world owes me a liven folks turn this old buzzards stomach sour.
What I don't understand is when you finally start to reap some rewards from all your hard labor.
Why someone is always there to try to benefit from the sweat of your bro? Government, Family, Friends.
That is a big list that seems to get bigger each & every day.
I don't pretend to have all the answers but as you look at the youth that is coming up today don't cha think a little hard work would be of some major value?
Instilling hard work and values into the youth of this country may only be a pipe dream but it is a lost value that is less and less practiced today.
I just wish we we were not losing the very best of our young men and women who only want to better them selfs and family's with duty, hard work, and patriotism, while our city's, and rural neighborhoods continue to become cesspool's of crime and scumbag trash.
My kids call me a workaholic I wouldn't have it any other way. If a rancher knows one thing thats how to just GET ER DONE! :hat:

A lot of the problems we have today is due to failure to open doors, doors to the church house that is.