Hard udder.....no milk

Help Support CattleToday:

BlondeD

Reaction score
Picked up a young..ish cow last fall.......bred.....nice udder with 4 well placed teats.....a bit short in length but adequate. She developed well along during the winter.....calved without any assistance late yesterday......calf up and hitting the udder per normal. But I was suspicious about output so I get the cow in the chute.........Udder is very firm and not a drop of anything appears at the ducts. HELP...!!! Anything to do except get the bottles ready for the calf...????

First thing give the calf clostrum, they have the powdered, clostrum at farm stores. Just make sure it has at least 50IG of Clostrum and give the calf a bag when you get home and another bag 6 hours later.

I've had the clostrum on hand......ready for calving season........got one dose on board and calf is active. Unable to milk her out by hand.......and I do have a grip. Local vet is getting a couple of doses of oxytocin ready when he gets back in area.

Might try massaging the udder and, worst case scenario, teat cannulas. Make darn sure everything is sanitized prior & after. Unfortunately, I've never had good luck with Today or anything the vet has tried when the udder/quarter is that hard because it's usually dead. All quarters??? Dayum!!! Especially on a younger cow. Hopefully you'll get at least a couple quarters functional and maybe only have to supplement the calf. Good call, getting replacement colostrum in the calf asap. Sending the best of luck.

Latest posts