Hard Surfacing Plow Points

Help Support CattleToday:

gberry

Reaction score
I'm looking for some info on hard surfacing plow points. My uncle has a road construction business that does quite a bit of welding. Their welding supply dealer recommended 12018 rods for hard surfacing plow points, but it seems to be wearing down as fast as the unsurfaced points. Does anyone have a recommendation for a better hard surfacing rod?

There are 2 types of hard facing, wear and impact. If no one comes up with an answer tonight I'll look in the shop and see if I can find the stuff I have. They way I've done it is to alternate a bead of each type, really has helped with the teeth and point on the post hole augers.

Use Snoody brand rods or wire, I have a roll of wire but haven't used it yet to compare to rods. Do a google search on that brand or go to welding help.com I think, I'll see if I can find it and re-post.

jedstivers":3tf0bp9o said:
Use Snoody brand rods or wire, I have a roll of wire but haven't used it yet to compare to rods. Do a google search on that brand or go to welding help.com I think, I'll see if I can find it and re-post.
That's not it. I'll look tomorrow night

Jed was close, it's Stoody brand. I also use Polaris hard surface rod, it welds real nice and has done wonders for our wear surfaces.

I use carbide. It comes in a straw type rod. The straw is the filler or glue, so to speak and the contents is carbide. The grit size of the carbide is determined by the application. For instance your plow points would use a powdered carbide and a rock drill bit may use 1/4 in. grit. It can be applied with oxy acetylene or stick wilder. I get it from an oil drill bit company that specializes in hard facing.
I have drilled up to 100 holes 18 foot deep through sand stone per day using this stuff with very little sign of wear.
PM me if you need more info.

Latest posts