hard core or soft core baler

Help Support CattleToday:

rjbovine

Reaction score
Please explain the difference between the two. I'm guessing the hard and soft is self explanatory . What I'm asking as far a quality of bale each make. Will hay keep better with one than the other . I'm thinking I might buy a baler before next hay season . Trying to learn all I can . Thanks rj

The variable chamber, belt type baler will start making a bale from the center, depending on the pressure setting the density of the bale will be consistent as the bale forms and grows, they work best on dry crops like hay and straw, longer the stem the better the bale generally. They also require less horsepower, I've run an NH644 (4x5) with 60 pto hp. A fixed chamber, roller type baler (soft center) allows the crop to rumble around until it fills the chamber then density increases as the bale forms in tighter layers towards the outside. These balers work well in wet crops like oatlage, haylage and cornstalks. To run a 4x4 baler and be able to make bales that have adequate density you will need at least a 90hp tractor, the more the better. They also handle short stemmed crops better than the belt balers. I make mostly dry hay, straw and stalk bales so I run an NH 7060, 4x5 hard center baler.

I've run a 4x4 M&W baler with my Ford 3000, so I'm a little confused about the high horse power part?
I don't have much experience, but the few things I noticed about the soft core:
Pro- Nearly idiot proof. Almost impossible to make a bad bale. Just put it gear and go.
Cons- The way they overlap the hay in the center makes it a pain to get the spear in, at least with the smaller bales.
Also, partial bales don't have the tight outer layer, so make sure they're used first. Eventually they start to collapse.

Generally, the harder the core is in a bale, the more HP it will take.

My old Hesston 5500 made a 5x5 bale weighing about 800 lbs. My 856A making the same size bale is about 1300 lbs.

60 HP would run the 5500. The 856A takes aobut 90 HP.

No personal experience with soft core bales. Biggest advantage to them is they allow you to bale with higher moisture content and not spoil. Biggest disadvantage I see is that the bales do not retain their shape or unroll very well, and don't keep well after one season.

There were a few of the OMC (later Gehl) soft core roller balers around at one time. Haven't seen any type of soft core baler for years now.

The bales my 856A makes retain their shape and keep quite well. The 856A is not very forgiving if hay is baled too green there will be mold.

856A makes a 5x6 bale but I only make mine 5x5. If I was to sell hay long distance and haul by truck I would make the bales 5x6 because truckers don't like to mess with smaller bales. :2cents:

Latest posts