Hard area along dewlap

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
Subject a yearling heifer. I was administering a vaccine for Fetal Protection in preparation for breeding in December/January. I noticed a hard area in the dewlap. Mostly isolated to her right side. An area about the size of a New York 16 ounce strip steak. It was very hard. Not soft and pliable like healthy flesh. I rolled it between my fingers and there was no sign of discomfort.

Anyone seen anything like this?

I have one that's hard at the bottom at the chest and is pretty good size. I brought it to the attention of the vet one day and he didn't have a clue. Like yours, there is no discomfort.

If it's rough textured it may just be callus from the way she lays. Had one cow that had an area like that on her navel and dewlap when we first got her. Went away after a time.

dun":2e2rcdgf said:
If it's rough textured it may just be callus from the way she lays. Had one cow that had an area like that on her navel and dewlap when we first got her. Went away after a time.

That could be it.

ALACOWMAN":3lpwiuld said:
Is the hair rubbed off of the area?

No. I checked her again today. Hair is fine. She is extremely docile. It is easy to keep an eye on. Right now she seems fine. It is not a swollen lymph node.

Latest posts