Harbor Freight Cordless tools

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
I noticed a lot more comparison to Dewalt tools so im wondering if the same company is making the HF stuff with some small differences that makes Dewalt. Does anyone have any of these tools and if so how would you rate them?

M-5":12i211om said:
I have not tried them yet but I am going to buy a couple and try them.

For the price and 30 day return policy you can't go wrong I think I will do the same.. My worry isn't functionality of the tool at first its how long will the batteries last.

I think there is a video somewhere that shows you can modify the HF batteries to work in the Dewalt tools.

I have a couple of the older Chicago NI-cad tools that have worked well. I got two years out of one battery, and they're only 12.99. My dad borrowed the impact and built a porch with it, drove a few pounds of 3 1/2" screws into oak.

What stinks is that you can't use a 20% off coupon on them. IMO you'd be better off to get the Milwaukee for a little more money, and have the 5 year warranty on the tool, and 2 years on the batteries.

Im a fan of the harbor freight stuff. Unless your using them for commercial use its hard to justify the cost of Milwaukee or some of the other same brands. Plus, for probably $20 or $30 you can put an additional 2 year warranty on it. If you have ever returned any thing to HF you know they don't ask questions. They just hand you a new one.

I just bought a 2" gasoline, trash pump to transfer water from the nurse tank to the sprayer. It was $180 a HB, $30 for an additional 2yr warranty. Bought the hoses and every thing there. I put oil and gas in it and fired it up. It cranks on the first pull every time. Been using it for about 2 mo now. Money well spent.

If your looking for a good cordless impact, Craftsman has a great bang for the buck cordless impact. Bought all the impact sockets from HF. Been using it to change tires and stuff also.

I bet at the end of the day most of that stuff is all made under the same roof.

Idk about HF warranty, but I bought a champion generator at TSC.
They asked if I want the "replacement warranty"
It was 20 or 30 bucks.
They said anything goes wrong within two years and they'd replace it for free.
I used it then put staybil in it and stored it.
When I went to use it this spring it wouldn't started( I think a sensor was bad)
Anyway I carried it back and they pulled up the purchase and called the warranty company.
They said your Mfg warranty is good for two years and the "replacement warranty" will take over once the Mfg warranty expires.
We call champion and the closest warranty station was in OKC.(2hrs away)
So pretty much BS on the " replacement warranty"

Cross-7":2pbmtafp said:
It was 20 or 30 bucks.
When I went to use it this spring it wouldn't started( I think a sensor was bad)
Anyway I carried it back and they pulled up the purchase and called the warranty company.
They said your Mfg warranty is good for two years and the "replacement warranty" will take over once the Mfg warranty expires.

Ya, I won't buy any thing like that from TSC any more. I got screwed on and IR air comp like that. Luckily when I called IR directly they took care of it. When you walk in there the majority of the time you get some one who doesn't know jack squat about jack squat... its like Academy... you better know what your doing when you walk in so you can guide them to the light.

Brute 23":1e6m4iv8 said:
Cross-7":1e6m4iv8 said:
It was 20 or 30 bucks.

Ya, I won't buy any thing like that from TSC any more. I got screwed on and IR air comp like that. Luckily when I called IR directly they took care of it. When you walk in there the majority of the time you get some one who doesn't know jack squat about jack squat... its like Academy... you better know what your doing when you walk in so you can guide them to the light.

I was in there and people were asking for minerals for a steer they were raising for slaughter... The TSC person has them get 2 bags of cubes.. I stepped in and advised them to go to southern states and get the mineral as that was cubes not minerals. They are the worst.

I've made a living with tools for 30 plus years, I don't buy cheap ones, PERIOD. But it's a lot different if you're a weekend warrior.

Ol' 243":11x88bhz said:
I've made a living with tools for 30 plus years, I don't buy cheap ones, PERIOD. But it's a lot different if you're a weekend warrior.

I have a big snap on box full of there tools and I have alot of harbor freight..I have broke harbor freight stuff and snap on same with craftsman. I have learned that for my needs either works and HD has lifetime warranty as well. Breaker bars and big pry bars leave them at hf other basic tools do well for me. If someone loses a hf tool I won't cry like I do for a snap on

callmefence":3qu4l35r said:
I don't know about the cordless stuff,but the hand tools are fine.

Don't buy the cut off wheels grinder wheels, chopsaw blades etc.

Never had issues with the grinder wheels or cut off wheels but drill bits .. my arse is sharper

skyhightree1":2m4mlccf said:
callmefence":2m4mlccf said:
I don't know about the cordless stuff,but the hand tools are fine.

Don't buy the cut off wheels grinder wheels, chopsaw blades etc.

Never had issues with the grinder wheels or cut off wheels but drill bits .. my arse is sharper

They cut and grind fine. Just wear out really quick

skyhightree1":mw8cb2w6 said:
Ol' 243":mw8cb2w6 said:

I have a big snap on box full of there tools and I have alot of harbor freight..I have broke harbor freight stuff and snap on same with craftsman. I have learned that for my needs either works and HD has lifetime warranty as well. Breaker bars and big pry bars leave them at hf other basic tools do well for me. If someone loses a hf tool I won't cry like I do for a snap on

I keep a snap on sticker on my yeti cooler and a yeti sticker on my snap on toolbox. It's different if your a weekend warrior... :D

I am a fan of RIDGID, they do cost more but even a lifetime warranty on the batteries , if you register them. I love hf though , very dangerous place .

We have a similar range of cordless power tools from our big discount hardware stores, they have a 3 year warranty as long as for home use and they just hand over another. They all use the same battery so you don't have to buy charger and battery with each tool. I find them very handy and have not had any trouble with them. My angle grinder lives in my truck and I'm always using it, I think the speed is down a little compared to my friends new cordless Makita angle grinder but my battery lasts longer than his and it does all I ask it to do. I have a small battery chainsaw, uses the same batteries that I keep in the wood shed and is very handy to trim a bit off a log that is too long for the fire.

Ken

I don;t use cordless tools often, but when I do I want it to work. I also want it to last till the job is done. For me that rules out HF junktools. From tsc I only buy name brands rather then house brands. Most of my tools are from lowes, only the losable tools are their brand. On stuff that isn;t critical, like roll around tool boxes, wire cutters, etc.. I have bunch of their hand tools. Their garauntee is as good as craftsman, I use a lot of their wrenches. The only problem I've had was a 3/8 inch socket set that the sockets wouldn;t latch on after a couple of years. Took the handle back and they just handed me a brand new one.

Brute 23":2jlsr3v2 said:
Im a fan of the harbor freight stuff. Unless your using them for commercial use its hard to justify the cost of Milwaukee or some of the other same brands. Plus, for probably $20 or $30 you can put an additional 2 year warranty on it. If you have ever returned any thing to HF you know they don't ask questions. They just hand you a new one.

I just bought a 2" gasoline, trash pump to transfer water from the nurse tank to the sprayer. It was $180 a HB, $30 for an additional 2yr warranty. Bought the hoses and every thing there. I put oil and gas in it and fired it up. It cranks on the first pull every time. Been using it for about 2 mo now. Money well spent.

If your looking for a good cordless impact, Craftsman has a great bang for the buck cordless impact. Bought all the impact sockets from HF. Been using it to change tires and stuff also.

I would have gave you a 10k gallon an hour one with 200' of hose.
Just gave it away the other day had been trying to find someone that could use it for the last 6 months.
Bought it during the drought to irrigate pasture.
My days of lugging around that hose is long gone.

Caustic Burno":2ymh37in said:
Brute 23":2ymh37in said:

I would have gave you a 10k gallon an hour one with 200' of hose.
Just gave it away the other day had been trying to find someone that could use it for the last 6 months.
Bought it during the drought to irrigate pasture.
My days of lugging around that hose is long gone.

Dang. I was worried about spending money on a good one until I could see how bad the chemicals would eat it up.

How did it work for irrigating? Did you just put a big sprinkler nozzle on the end?

Latest posts