HAR Pinebank 443 202

Help Support CattleToday:

SA Angus

Reaction score
We have several heifers from this bull. They are suppose to be excellent on grass which is true. We used Chisum 255 on him. The idea is to keep using high $ EN EPD bulls in the future. Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated.

There is a reason that they are high $E. That reason or reasons does/do not jive with the market. Like stacking CE bulls; you get a specific type.

Ebenezer-
I agree you have to be careful with single trait selection, and you can select against enough performance with too much emphasis, but you would be a fan of 202 if you've seen him or his mother. Regrettably i don't have enough experience with his progeny, but I know his blood.

I am looking at Coleman Engage with a +7 $ EN. His other EPDs are fine.

We will likely use Coleman Engage in the future. Does any one have opinions about Engage??

SA Angus said:
We will likely use Coleman Engage in the future. Does any one have opinions about Engage??

We own his dam, and most everything we've flushed her or bred her to has turned out really nice.
She is extremely long and a medium to larger framed.
Seen some really nice ones at Coleman's sale. They didn't have many but were really nice.

The Pinebank females I have are on the smaller side (less than 5 frame). Engage is larger frame than Charlo so should work well.

An excellent Charlo son is just what I need. I have quite a few Charlo heifers - good but I prefer more frame. Have you used Duff Napoleon?

SA Angus said:
An excellent Charlo son is just what I need. I have quite a few Charlo heifers - good but I prefer more frame. Have you used Duff Napoleon?

We have not used Napoleon. We have used Duff Angus 011 and he was pretty nice. Maybe a little too moderate for some.
We have used Raindance, President and Bravos. All are nice. The Bravos work best on larger cows. We tried a flush to him and our 1169 ( Engage's Dam) unfortunately we struck out.

We flushed her and another cow to U-2 Coalition(Beef 360). They are awesome so far. One of my favorite groups so far this year.

We have not used Napoleon. We have used Duff Angus 011 and he was pretty nice. Maybe a little too moderate for some.
We have used Raindance, President and Bravos. All are nice. The Bravos work best on larger cows. We tried a flush to him and our 1169 ( Engage's Dam) unfortunately we struck out.

We flushed her and another cow to U-2 Coalition(Beef 360). They are awesome so far. One of my favorite groups so far this year.

We now have calves from Pinebank daughters. We used Chisum 255 on them. Nice calves. The Pinebank mothers have perfect udders & teats. We have the brother Pinebank bulls too. They are very good. To me, Pinebank makes better mothers. If you have any ideas on other bull to use with them please let me know. Maybe Coleman Bravo?

We now have calves from Pinebank daughters. We used Chisum 255 on them. Nice calves. The Pinebank mothers have perfect udders & teats. We have the brother Pinebank bulls too. They are very good. To me, Pinebank makes better mothers. If you have any ideas on other bull to use with them please let me know. Maybe Coleman Bravo?
SA Angus...what traits are you trying to improve? I have quite a few full blood and 50-75%+ Pinebanks...but I need more info to make a suggestion. My full bloods are moderate, have good bone and feet, good testicles on sons, mature early, lots of capacity, and excellent at converting forage efficiently. The coat quality for south Ga has been 50-50, hence I have crossed them with Oliver Angus Wye cattle and recently, Senepol from Millertown Senepols for a F1. (I am selling more commercial replacements than registered stock down here in the land of row crops). I am also working with an Ohlde line that came from Ronnie Shelby that goes back to OCC Linebred. I am not breeding to make cattle larger than a 5 frame though because of my environment. Bahia and Bermuda don't make big cows efficiently. Especially without pouring the fertilizer to them.

SA Angus...what traits are you trying to improve? I have quite a few full blood and 50-75%+ Pinebanks...but I need more info to make a suggestion. My full bloods are moderate, have good bone and feet, good testicles on sons, mature early, lots of capacity, and excellent at converting forage efficiently. The coat quality for south Ga has been 50-50, hence I have crossed them with Oliver Angus Wye cattle and recently, Senepol from Millertown Senepols for a F1. (I am selling more commercial replacements than registered stock down here in the land of row crops). I am also working with an Ohlde line that came from Ronnie Shelby that goes back to OCC Linebred. I am not breeding to make cattle larger than a 5 frame though because of my environment. Bahia and Bermuda don't make big cows efficiently. Especially without pouring the fertilizer to them.
Any pics of the Pinebank influenced cattle ?

Mostly have bull pics because that's what I'm marketing typically...but I'll snap some next time I can.

I would like a bit more frame. A bit thicker too. The mothers are excellent now. Good milk, good udders and nice protype. I ranch in Uruguay where grass is king. The cost of any grain is excessive. We are in the pedigree business selling bulls and heifers.

Mostly have bull pics because that's what I'm marketing typically...but I'll snap some next time I can.
I will take some photos too. As advertised these cattle perform very well on grass.

Have you looked at the Green Gardens Angus lineup? I haven't recently, but have used some of their bulls in the past (Gardens Wave, Gardens Next Wave HE17)... High $EN, REA, Marbling, Tenderness... probably not high $B, but if you're going for a grass-finished product, they provided most of what you want in a single package.
Wave daughters here were good.

Have you looked at the Green Gardens Angus lineup? I haven't recently, but have used some of their bulls in the past (Gardens Wave, Gardens Next Wave HE17)... High $EN, REA, Marbling, Tenderness... probably not high $B, but if you're going for a grass-finished product, they provided most of what you want in a single package.
Wave daughters here were good.
I've got a Hoover Dam X Gardens Wave steer in the pen to fatten. Can't wait to see how it does. Wave brought a lot of good to the table, but they can have a touch of snort to them. Not mean really, just aware/nervous. I only bought 1 cane of him and have used him periodically. Never retained anything, but I do have one heifer from last years crop that I plan to breed. She's a little quick in the pen, but I'm going to give her a try. A little smaller framed than I like, but I can breed her accordingly. What cross did you like best on your Wave females?

Never had any disposition issues with the 3 Wave daughters we got...but when his initial Doc score came out at -23, after I'd already bred 8 or 10 cows to him, I was a little nervous.
Got mostly heifers out of the Wave daughters when we bred them...to Waukaru Coppertop 464(Shorthorn) and Silverwood Dragon 4Y(Braunvieh)...and those resulting heifers were very nice. Sold the last Wave daughter, last fall, in our dispersal, carrying a JF Milestone 999W calf. She stayed local...need to check with the guy who bought her to see how it came out.

Last edited:
Never had any disposition issues with the 3 Wave daughters we got...but when his initial Doc score came out at -23, after I'd already bred 8 or 10 cows to him, I was a little nervous.
Got mostly heifers out of the Wave daughters when we bred them...to Waukaru Coppertop 464(Shorthorn) and Silverwood Dragon 4Y(Braunvieh)...and those resulting heifers were very nice. Sold the last Wave daughter, last fall, in our dispersal, carrying a JF Milestone 999W calf. She stayed local...need to check with the guy who bought her to see how it came out.

Latest posts