Happy with your herd

Help Support CattleToday:

SEC

Reaction score
I would be interested in feedback from others as it seems that there is a faction of people that are still looking for something in their herd, they know what it is just can't seem to find it.

In theory, we all want the same things. How many of us have what we want?

How many have found what they need just need time to put it in place?

How many are still looking for a glove that will fit their hand properly?

Are you happy with your herd?

We are very pleased with our sires & dams and calves that are produced. Yet, we are constantly researching ways to improve our herd and keeping our eyes open for bigger and better Longhorns that are within our price range.

When we sell an animal at a profit, we put all or part of that income in the purchase of another "better" animal to improve our herd genetics, production, and conformation.

We are extremely happy and PROUD of our herd. Always trying to improve. No cow is perfect, so always trying to find "a" bull to match with her to make that PERFECT calf. Now if I could convince my cows that they are supposed to be giving me heifers, all would be good. 9 bulls, 2 heifers & 6 late cows/heifers :shock: We USUALLY have more heifers than bulls (spoiled!)

Right As Rain Ranch is very young. We have been building up to the numbers of the carrying capacity of the small space but we have a long way to go with uniformity in the calf crop. In other words, we have some hatchet butts, not counting mine.

By building a better class of cattle, we hope the world will beat a path to our loading chute. That is not happening yet. We are beginning to be noticed. We too are proud of our herd. There is much learning ahead of us and that is the attraction of this forum.

If I would have paid attention to my father and grandfather I would be much further ahead....on cattle and other matters. :)

Well im tired of chaseing the endless possibilities of the brahman influance. getting too old ready to just consentrate on one. strait brangus . slowly breeding in that direction

I'm extremely pleased with where my herd is right now and also with the direction that it's headed in. Of course, most of you know that I raise Longhorn cattle if you've read any of these posts. I understand that cattle markets are and can be somewhat trendy but in the Longhorn world a marketable Longhorn cow or bull is one that has and will produce a good set of horns. Now this is already taking into consideration that these animals are easy breeders, milk well and raise a good calf or if it is a herdsire or herdsire prospect will produce animals with these qualities. Of course calving ease is already pretty much taken care in this breed. Now, I'm not into raising rats (little bitty cows with a huge set of horns) but trying to hit a happy medium with a good framed cow with a large set of horns. In other words, I'm not willing to sacrifice everything else that a cow should have just to have a good set of horns and I have seen examples of this with other breeders. There's always room to improve your herd I think. I feel that I have some excellent foundation stock in my herd and some of today's top genetics but none of my animals are perfect. Always in the quest for the better animal. To me a good cow or bull is one that will out produce themselves and I have some of those animals in my herd. I know there are other breeders that have different agendas and markets for their animals but in our operation we are striving to make a name for good, sound breeding stock that will enhance your herd.

We're always trying to improve as well. We're getting rid of our larger cows slowly, and replacing them with shorter, thicker, fleshier, more efficient cows. We're also trying to "acquire" a set of top purebred Galloway cows, to supply bulls to other producers in our little 'network'. It's kinda tough to find enough good ones around. Rkaiser only has so many of that caliber, so we'll see where my entrepreneurial spirit takes us. ;-)

Well, if I could list all the cows I ever wanted in the Hereford breed, I would be here all night. When I sell cattle every year, I buy back animals that are better than what I sold. :cboy:

I have areas I would like to improve, at the same time like all my cows. to me it is market demands that dictate alot of my manangement decisions. Keep children and wife away from nice cows. Easier to sell.

Scotty

Scotty":69nnm8l1 said:
Keep children and wife away from nice cows. Easier to sell.
I don't have a problem selling cows.
All of my cows have their faults, the trick is to find a bull, be it AI or natural, that will compliment the cow's strengths and correct the cow's faults.
I also take pride in the fact that all but one of my cows carries my prefix. They were born and raised here. My choice of genetics that fits my location and program.

I'm pleased with the herd that is on the place now. Room for improvement, you bet.

Well that is the reason cattlemen live so long is there is no such thing as the perfect herd we strive to obtain and then we die and the relatives haul the whole lot to the salebarn for a couple of dollars.

Caustic Burno":1hajd0ii said:
Well that is the reason cattlemen live so long is there is no such thing as the perfect herd we strive to obtain and then we die and the relatives haul the whole lot to the salebarn for a couple of dollars.

There's a happy thought. :(
At least I'll be in Heaven, guess I'll have better things to do.:)

Latest posts