Happy Thanksgiving

Help Support CattleToday:

Happy Thanksgiving to all.
We all have a lot to be thankful for.
(but I'm also thankful this holiday only comes once a year too. Too much cooking, too much eating. I made Mexican flan yesterday and it came out great .... but only after the 1st attempt at the caramel was a complete rock hard failure)
I made a pecan pie that boiled in the oven and I couldn't tell when it was done. So I overcooked it and had to make another one.
Tonight the overcooked pie looked like a molasses tub....dark and darn sure chewy. 😲 I didn't take that one along to dinner.
I read later where pecan pie in high altitude needs to be baked at a lower temperature so the 'boiling' doesn't happen.

I hope everyone had a wonderful day with family and friends.

Trying to take it lite as those 10-15 lbs. that need to come off is hard to do I have put on the last couple years.

I made a pecan pie that boiled in the oven and I couldn't tell when it was done. So I overcooked it and had to make another one.
Tonight the overcooked pie looked like a molasses tub....dark and darn sure chewy. 😲 I didn't take that one along to dinner.
I read later where pecan pie in high altitude needs to be baked at a lower temperature so the 'boiling' doesn't happen.

I live in flatlander country so I don't have to deal with high altitude cooking problems but I've read of incidents where a pecan pie pretty much explodes if measures aren't taken to prevent it.

"Why did my pecan pie explode?"

"Water evaporates more quickly up here, and when you mix together super sugary, buttery, liquid-y ingredients and blast them in a hot oven, the vaporizing water leaves behind a cauldron of boiled-down, molten sugar that can bubble, then violently blow its way out of its crust."

I usually use the pecan pie recipe that is on the back of every Karo syrup bottle.

hialtitudepecpie.jpg

Jan, this may sound a bit odd but my thoughts wander your way when Bessie comes a running for feed every day. She don't get feed but once in a while in the off season.

Glad to hear your on the mend!
You'll be back in the saddle in no time! I, for one, am super excited to see you enjoying your cows again soon!
Thanks. It has been a not very good experience. The surgery went good but the rehab that they put me in was HORRIBLE. I had good response the day after, movement wise, so they said I did not need the "acute rehab" which was where I was supposed to go. So I got put in a "nursing home rehab" and it was so bad. NOTHING like when I had the ankle replacement. Food was inedible and I sent it back several times.... no choices.... 1 hr rehab a day then basically locked in room. Waited for an hour several times for response to pushing button so I could get help to go to bathroom.... It really was awful. Then got home and getting around a little but the pain was more than I ever imagined and the drugs... even opiods, did nothing to touch it and I couldn't sleep.... then the reaction to the adhesive from the bandage covering and the glue that held the zip-line that holds the 2 sides of the incision together rather than using stitches. I am just now getting relief from that with Burt's Bees "calming serum" ..... everything, even just plain aloe made them burn and hurt.... skin is raw and after 2 days of the BB stuff, they are not as raw or sore.
Go back for post surgery appt on Monday and plan to tell them exactly what I have been going through... and tell them to NEVER EVER put anyone in that awful nursing home/rehab. That is where you put old people to die.... and on top of it, they have a shortage of help like everywhere else.... the rehab girl was wonderful but she could only spend so much time with me with a building full of people she was responsible for.

I am looking forward to warm weather and hopefully being able to get out with my cows again....
When is Bessie due again?

Round 2!
Still giving thanks. Double batch today. 12 cups of flour....
Will make 48 rolls!
And look at that yeast!!!
20211126_111353.jpg
Thanks. It has been a not very good experience. The surgery went good but the rehab that they put me in was HORRIBLE. I had good response the day after, movement wise, so they said I did not need the "acute rehab" which was where I was supposed to go. So I got put in a "nursing home rehab" and it was so bad. NOTHING like when I had the ankle replacement. Food was inedible and I sent it back several times.... no choices.... 1 hr rehab a day then basically locked in room. Waited for an hour several times for response to pushing button so I could get help to go to bathroom.... It really was awful. Then got home and getting around a little but the pain was more than I ever imagined and the drugs... even opiods, did nothing to touch it and I couldn't sleep.... then the reaction to the adhesive from the bandage covering and the glue that held the zip-line that holds the 2 sides of the incision together rather than using stitches. I am just now getting relief from that with Burt's Bees "calming serum" ..... everything, even just plain aloe made them burn and hurt.... skin is raw and after 2 days of the BB stuff, they are not as raw or sore.
Go back for post surgery appt on Monday and plan to tell them exactly what I have been going through... and tell them to NEVER EVER put anyone in that awful nursing home/rehab. That is where you put old people to die.... and on top of it, they have a shortage of help like everywhere else.... the rehab girl was wonderful but she could only spend so much time with me with a building full of people she was responsible for.

I am looking forward to warm weather and hopefully being able to get out with my cows again....
When is Bessie due again?
Staff shortages are a killer! I bet your much happier at home!
Bessie be along late winter/early spring.

I live in flatlander country so I don't have to deal with high altitude cooking problems but I've read of incidents where a pecan pie pretty much explodes if measures aren't taken to prevent it.

"Why did my pecan pie explode?"

"Water evaporates more quickly up here, and when you mix together super sugary, buttery, liquid-y ingredients and blast them in a hot oven, the vaporizing water leaves behind a cauldron of boiled-down, molten sugar that can bubble, then violently blow its way out of its crust."

I usually use the pecan pie recipe that is on the back of every Karo syrup bottle.

View attachment 10576
Thank you. That's what I read to make my second pie and to know what happened to the first one. My pie didn't explode, but it sure did everything but that. My mothers' pecan pie recipe also says to bake at 325. That's the one I used to make. This one was a Pioneer Woman recipe and probably would have been okay except for not allowing for high altitude. We are 4700' here and I think anything over 3500' is considered high altitude.

We all make mistakes now and then. I drove Fords (and one Mercury) for over 50 years. Then, the local Chevy dealer made me a good (cheap) deal on a new Silverado. It didn't take me long to find out why it was so cheap and I'm not talking about just dollar wise.
My next one will have a blue oval on the front of it.

(I had only one other Chevy product in my life and it was a '61 Corvette. I thought it was the cat's meow ... until I drove a Ford Shelby GT350. Didn't buy it, but I sure wish I had now)

OH MY!! I wanted a Corvette for 100 1/2 years finally got one.... looks can be deceiving. Looked good the back was so sexy how the did like that (like you can see me🙄) and the lights looks alot like my back side 🙃 roared like a big lion sounded real nice, fun as heck to drive put a smile on your face like Weeeee weeeee haaaaa. Sorta like a riding a roller coaster as a kid. Wasn't made for long trips. I had a 350z much better riding for long trips. I realized very quickly why Corvette is people's "Sunday" cars. Hey but everyone has that one thing that want in life.... I got the 'vett put a million miles on the thing sold it and made money off it. People always made funny comments when I pulled up to construction sites, dams, and plants in a 'vet. 🙄😝 It's just a car no different than anybody else roll up in brand new Fords, Rams, Chevy, Harley, Jeeps,ect. People are strange sometimes.
Our Chevy a farm truck we use it for farm purposes. People act strange when we load stuff in the back or pull stuff with it. It's a truck that's why we have it to use it. Not saying we get out act a foolish just saying it's a truck. Same with the 'vett I brought it to drive.
Ya know I really just like to aggravate ya'll. 🤟🏽💯

Good laugh. Reminds me of a time when I was a kid, I tried to make homemade pudding. My Gma told me the recipe I was maybe 10 or 11 if that. My Gma was telling me the recipe I half wrote it down. I got home tried making it turned it up on high. 🤣😂 I had no clue what I was supposed to cook it on. Of course it burnet!! Smelled so bad!! My mom came in and about killed me cause I ruined the pan.
That and one time I put a bread tie in the microwave. It started sparking like 4th of July. 😆🤣🤣🤩🎆 I got a good chewing over that. I had a sandwich with a bread tie full of something I wanted to melt. 😬 My mom chewed my 🐴 out big time over that. It was fine microwave still worked.... may have took some my brain cells.

Good laugh. Reminds me of a time when I was a kid, I tried to make homemade pudding. My Gma told me the recipe I was maybe 10 or 11 if that. My Gma was telling me the recipe I half wrote it down. I got home tried making it turned it up on high. 🤣😂 I had no clue what I was supposed to cook it on. Of course it burnet!! Smelled so bad!! My mom came in and about killed me cause I ruined the pan.
That and one time I put a bread tie in the microwave. It started sparking like 4th of July. 😆🤣🤣🤩🎆 I got a good chewing over that. I had a sandwich with a bread tie full of something I wanted to melt. 😬 My mom chewed my 🐴 out big time over that. It was fine microwave still worked.... may have took some my brain cells.
Speaking of pudding...we milked a cow and used raw milk. Friend made pudding from a box using our raw milk. It was AWFUL! Tasted like soap. She was so embarrassed. She read the box and it said to use Pasturized milk!! Who would have thought it would make that much difference?

Speaking of pudding...we milked a cow and used raw milk. Friend made pudding from a box using our raw milk. It was AWFUL! Tasted like soap. She was so embarrassed. She read the box and it said to use Pasturized milk!! Who would have thought it would make that much difference?

The real question is how you know what soap tastes like?! 😅🤣🤣😝

The real question is how you know what soap tastes like?! 😅🤣🤣😝

I got my mouth wash out with soap... can't remember why I was real young. Apparently, didn't work either....🤣😝 mama tried

Latest posts