Happy Groundhog Day

Help Support CattleToday:

angie":5ku3gmvx said:
How does the shadow thing go again?
Every year I ask and forget....

If he sees his shadow there's 6 more weeks of winter. So what it boils down to is if it's sunny it's more winter if it's cloudy there isn;t. Of ocurse with all of the lights for the camaras I don;t see how he could tell the difference.

angie":q76fg6wn said:
How does the shadow thing go again?
Every year I ask and forget....

If he see's his shadow............. six more weeks of winter.

If not............only a month and a half of winter left.

hrbelgians":pe9je3s8 said:

Ha ~ took me a couple readings but I got it.
In Mn either way would be a blessing :roll:

That whole thing cracks me up. Did he see it last year, I don't remember. All I know is that we had snow in April and that's just freaky around here. I am talking huge wet flakes that fell all afternoon. It was strange. I hadn't seen April snow since I was pregnant with Steven in 1987.

And no, there was no connection. No oven. 8)

I just bought the movie, one of my favorites... And I'm pretty sure we'll be getting a lot of winter yet either way.

Is it Happy Groundhog Day or Merry Groundhog Day? :)

Either way have a good'un.

Although around here I wouldn't mind a little shadow-seeing for a day or two, anyway.

Pennsylvania. The reference was made Feb. 4, 1841 in Morgantown, Berks County, Pennsylvania storekeeper James Morris' diary: "Last Tuesday, the 2nd, was Candlemas day, the day on which, according to the Germans, the Groundhog peeps out of his winter quarters and if he sees his shadow he pops back for another six weeks nap, but if the day be cloudy he remains out, as the weather is to be moderate."[2]
It has been claimed that this has been a widely celebrated event in Middlesbrough, England since the turn of the millennium and continues to grow within the surrounding area. This however seems rather unlikely given that groundhogs are limited to North America.[3]
In the United States the tradition derives from a Scottish poem:
As the light grows longer
The cold grows stronger
If Candlemas be fair and bright
Winter will have another flight
If Candlemas be cloud and snow
Winter will be gone and not come again
A farmer should on Candlemas day
Have half his corn and half his hay
On Candlemas day if thorns hang a drop
You can be sure of a good pea crop
This tradition also stems from similar beliefs associated with Candlemas Day[4] and Groundhog Day. Candlemas, also known as the Purification of the Virgin or the Presentation, coincides with the earlier pagan observance Imbolc.

not sure if this true but I found it on the internet, I thought it was just a made up story for the film. Just goes to show you learn something new everyday. :lol:

Well, our Albertan groundhog, Balzac Billy, did not see his shadow. Neither did our best known Canadian groundhog Wiarton Willie in Ontario. Our second most well-known groundhog in Canada, Shubenacadie Sam who comes from Nova Scotia also did not see his shadow. :banana:
My condolences to all of you Americans since Phil saw his shadow.

I liked what one of the CBC news reporters said in 2007; "It's always been a pack of lies, of course, but it's fun, and we need fun if we are to survive another Canadian February."

Supposedly groundhogs are accuarate 37% of the time according to scientific studies.

Here's a humourous about Ontario's original Wiarton Willie (from CBC):
"The original Wiarton Willie, an albino groundhog said to be 22 years old, died during hibernation during the winter of 1998-99. The good burghers of Wiarton discovered this to their horror just before Groundhog Day 1999.

Willie's death made headlines around the world.

On Groundhog Day, they put Wiarton Willie face-up in a small pine casket, bright pennies over his eyes, paws clutching a raw carrot. But it was a fake! Turns out the real Wiarton Willie was so disgustingly decomposed he couldn't be put on display, so they found a stuffed facsimile and laid it in the casket.

"We didn't try to hide the fact that he was stuffed," said Tom Ashman of Wiarton Willie's publicity team. "If the media had been doing their job they would have seen the stitches on the belly."

But, why fake it?

"People needed closure," Ashman explained."

How would you like to be roused from a peaceful slumber and shoved out in the freezing cold only to have a thousand flashbulbs going off in your face? I've made it my life's mission to put an end to this wanton exploitation of helpless animals. ;-)

I made the mistake of trying to make a delivery (I'm a truck driver) in Punxsutawney, Pa on groundhog day many years ago. It's unbelieveable. They shut the whole town down. Practically nothing is open and forget about driving thru town in a big rig. I'd never heard of Phil before that day but I'll never forget him. :D

angie":1yx2njiu said:
hrbelgians":1yx2njiu said:

Ha ~ took me a couple readings but I got it.
In Mn either way would be a blessing :roll:

Hey angie, it don't really matter to us up this way does it!? Regardless of what the rodent sees we are gonna have winter till May, maybe June, right!?. ;-)

Saw a groundhog standing beside our driveway today, day late and a dollar short. Had the 223 with me but he was in line with a neighbor's house. If I had splattered his head all over the road, I wonder what affect that would have had on our weather for the next 6 weeks?

cfpinz

CKC1586":1utg2dx0 said:
Hey angie, it don't really matter to us up this way does it!? Regardless of what the rodent sees we are gonna have winter till May, maybe June, right!?. ;-)
No, makes no difference at all.
If winter lasts until June (stranger things have happened....), I'm flying south (I know I threaten this all the time, but this time I mean it!).

Well around here winter doesn't even make it to groundhog day lol. Yesterday's high was 77 and today is supposed to be more of the same. The low was 60.

Latest posts