Happy Day!!

Help Support CattleToday:

cmf1":3ep3hy7n said:
TexasBred":3ep3hy7n said:
Looks like you wasted a lot of money. Those cows don't need ryegrass...they need a "diet". ;-) Appears the hay was more than adequate. Would be a great place for some under conditioned cows though.

Never a waste in my mind. Every mouth full of live grass is a saved mouthful of hay that keeps pretty well under the barn. I buy less hay each year and feed the old stuff first.
I prefer to think of the rye grass as a fixed expense every year and the hay as a floating expense because I feel like I get more from the rye grass per dollar in.
Opening gates and letting them graze rather than standing knee deep at a bale is a factor too, although I do both I'd rather do more of the grazing.
Just me.
You realize that stuff is in excess of 25% crude protein on a dry matter basis and most of it will go right through those cows because of the high moisture and rapidly degradable protein? Those cattle are extremely over conditioned. Look like they've been at a feed bunk most of their life. At best I'd limit graze it everyday and pull them off after a couple of hours at the most and let them fill up on that old hay. That would be stretching the "good stuff".